How is scientology any less of a religion than christianity or islam or mormons or any other belief system? If its ok for christians, it should be ok for scientologists, or it should be not ok for anyone to have tax exempt status.
Why you shouldn't consider Scientology a religion and Christianity, Jews, etc. are religions.
Just look at names of the prophets..
* Jesus Christ - that's a real prophet's name.
* Moses - sounds like a real prophet to me, too.
* Buddha - Definitely a prophet.
* Mohammed - Yep, sounds good to me.
* L. Ron Hubbard - Nope.. No way that's a prophet's name.. Hubbard? Come on..
* Joe Smith - ok, now you're pushing it.. No prophet would ever be named Joe.
That's all you need to do.
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." -- Richard P. Feynman