I do not think SteamOS is of any relevance today. And it wont be important next year.
I do not think Steam 4 Linux is a perfect alternative to windows. And at best it will be a acceptable although rough alterantive to windows next year.
But I do now that Steam 4 Linux DOES deliver. Not big time but every month a little bit bigger. I bought over 200 games for Steam and even though I did care little about running games on Linux I still have over 60 games running on linux.
I did not expect that when Steam 4 Linux was announced.
So while Steam 4 Linux does NOT replace my windows game machine - a massive tower costing â1000 and eating 400W to give me bleeding edge results - it gives me two great bonuses:
I now have 60 games running on my el cheapo Notebook with Ubuntu which did cost me â300 and uses 30W. I can run another 140 games through Steam Remote gaming as long as my windows system is also running. I am planning to buy an el cheapo Nettop based on AMD Beema for â100, converting my Big-Screen TV into a gaming station. And I will get another one of these for my bed room.
There will be more games.
There will be better support.
Maybe we will see Steam directly installed into smart TVs. So I would not even need to add some el cheapo nettop box.
This will be slow like it has been for two years but maybe suddenly in five years I will say "ok lets play something different" and find it surprising that this game does not run on linux. Maybe I will even find it surprising that this game does need a extra computer instead of running directly on my TV.
Then I will open my Steam inventory and see that 80% of my games are available for Linux and are running natively on my TV. Then I will just wonder why I should bother for the other 20%. I will start to ignore these 20% and keep an old Windows system in the attic next to my Amiga and my C64 just in case I want to play these 20% again. Which I wont like I never played most Amiga games ever again.