I second this
I second this
I would love to move to the Unix platform including Linux ( any and all distros ), BSD (openBSD, freeBSD, netBSD,
dragonflyBSD) , Solaris/Solaris-x86, AIX, HP-UX, Minix, etc....
These are the desktop applications that I use:
- SolidWorks ( 3D CAD program , a really expensive at that ) ,
- A real web browser: FireFox, Chrome, Safari, Chrome, ( yes, some are available on some unix platforms already , I know )
with full plug-in support for adobe flash,
- a real word processor that can go toe-to-toe with MS Word or WordPerfect,
- office suite that can also toe-to-toe with MS office, Apple iWorks,
- 2D Vector drawing program ( like Mac's Intaligio or Lineform ),
- 2D Raster drawing painting program like Corel Painter and Adobe PhotoShop.
- local native email client ( may or may not be as useful these days )
- CD/DVD player
- TV tuner ( DTV / HDTV )
- calendar / scheduler / project planner, to do , etc..
- new aggregator ( RSS reader )
- PDF reader,
- archive manager ( pkzip, arc, gzip,
- anti-virus, firewall, malware protection, anti-spam, disk backup, disk partition,
or at least equivalent programs that can read and write the same data formats flawlessly.
none of that java platform apps. I want native apps on the Unix platform.
lightweight , no bloatware that is.
Promising costs nothing, it's the delivering that kills you.