As you can probably tell by my semi-frequest comments in posts and such, I really like reading Slashdot. But I continually see a bunch of comments knocking Slashdot for various reasons, so I thought I would join the rest of the cattle and post a list of what I hate about Slashdot. Here goes, have fun!
- Trolls. Why some people exist seemingly only to make other people's lives miserable is beyond me. I'll never forget the first time I saw an anonymous coward left-field post about Nazis and niggers and such. I was flabbergasted that some sorry-ass pathetic moron has so little time that they think it's cool to pee on everyone else's parade. Pardon the language, but these fuckers should be taken out back and beaten within a half inch of their lives. The term "Anonymous Coward" is sort of facetious and funny, but not in these posts; it's right on the mark. These people are true cowards, and I dare them to let me know who they are.
- First post "look at me!" idiots. So you happened to log on and see an article before anyone else. Who the hell cares? Do you think that we're all impressed by your keen timing skill? Get a life.
- "Dupe"-ers. Another worthless post. If an article is a dupe, why is simply ignoring it so out of the question? I'd rather see a handful of duplicate articles than a billion "this is a dupe!" posts.
- "This is old"-ers. See above.
- "Moderators suck"-ers. You know what? I see posts in which I disagree with the moderation as well. Hell, I GET moderated a lot of times in a fashion in which I disagree. But overall, it works pretty well. If you don't like it, then metamoderate and stick it to the mods you hate so much. If it's simply intolerable, then stick to your AOL portal for news.
- "Editors suck"-ers. I find that only around 50% of the articles I see on Slashdot are personally interesting to me. But you know what? That's about 49% more than articles and segments I see in other news outlets. As a general rule, the editors do a pretty good job, I think. Again, if you don't like anything the editors put up there, then stop bitching about it and start getting your news somewhere else.
- "+5 funny" moderations. I actually have a -1 modifier to funny posts, because most of them just plain aren't. Jerry Seinfeld is funny. Jerry Zucker is funny. Steven Wright is funny. "In Russia the (whatever) (does whatever to) you!" is NOT funny. If you feel the need to incessantly spout clichés, please go to Fark instead, they've got plenty of them there. Please note that this complaint is posted in my journal, not in a zillion comments.
- "Mod parent UP/DOWN"-ers. If I'm a moderator, I will make the decision whether or not to mod a comment up or down and your plea will make no difference whatsoever to me. If you've posted this comment as yourself and not an anonymous coward (which if you do, you are), you are likely to be modded -1 offtopic by me for posting such a stupid and irrelevant comment. If you actually have something to say, do it, but don't tell me what to do.
Well, that's it for now. There are other things that irritate me, such as journal entries that go on too long. I wish that people who do that would just shu--