and will read more of the discussion here: http://interviews.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=66948&threshold=1&mode=thread&commentsort=0&op=Change
It looks like ReiserFS has many of the software hooks thtat would allow me to add things I've wanted under unix for a long time...
Some of my (random) thoughts:
File System Modifications:
- Keep MANY file attributes, not just version
- Hidden (grocked
- Backup (hooks to support optimum in/out)
- Comments + notes (think MAC forks or metadata)
- Version control (CVS like even, built under the hood)
- Access logs (triggers possible)
- File Version Support:
- Make it automatic, with file system control Settings
Version frequency (can preset parameters in attrib)
Each change, open + close
can disable on file granularity, for DBMA & big files
can open() func easily reach older versions?
- Daily, or past N-Age
- Past certain percent
- Group version control
- Delta SCCS like
- Complete duplication
- N-Version copies
- All see same
- Rollback views
- See all individual files
- See one file, others hidden
- Forks- can different people branch..?
- See what other people have done
Can you keep list of ASSOCIATED FILES..? and category, and type of relationship, and importance.
- Associate executables that can/have open file
- Which exe originally wrote file
- What project is this part of?
- what other dependant files? (make like)
- what files depend on you?
- categories? (sys,doc, config, user pref, tracking, accounting, etc)
- keywords? importance? (context)
- How much of this can be automatically maintained?
- we REALLY need metadata, associated with files
- How to you handle metadata with older unix commands? TAR, serialize, cat, grep, cpio, backup/restore
Activity logging in file system (machine form & people form) weeding out misc from important?
to answer: What has been happening on this machine in last week? (with 100 users)
- or what was I working on yesterday?
- or what jobs did run (outcome, data changed)
- or what jobs WILL be run? (expect load)
- or network activity + flavors + levels + who + which programs +
- oh can you link net activity to people, programs, ports, files, ???
- and what about databases: big nebulous hole, who changed what, with what program, queries, time
Associate MANY files with
- What other files are used in conjunction with this one, or for similar purposes..? For instance: hereer are all of the ifles that have to do with networking, or a project, or a database, or a dat-set NNN, or backups, or X-Windows configuration... yadda yadda...
- You will need a separate place in metadata database to keep the association
- Visibility might be system side, or particular user, or group, perhaps context specific (by user, role, etc)
- How about relevance factor- or strength of association???
- General category - as opposed to link to group??
- Files can/will be in MANY groups, not just one- with strengths diff of association to each group
- You will want to search/list files by this information - including many categories
- It sure seems like it becomes an SQL database, imbedded into filesystem, or associated like seen project
- system performance impacts?