A breakthrough in quantum cryptography demonstrates that information can be encrypted and then decrypted with complete security using the combined power of quantum theory and relativity — allowing the sender to dictate the unveiling of coded information without any possibility of intrusion or manipulation.
The article is light on details, but says quantum theory and relativity theory work together to allow "bit commitment". Anyone understand this well enough to share insight in layman's terms?
Oops, accidentally modded this comment down instead of up. Is there a way to undo a mod besides posting?
Other than Clapper who outright lied to Congress before any of the Snowden Files were made public, what are you talking about?
Clapper was a great start -- not in response to the leaks, but certainly a good example of an official lie followed by convincing evidence to the contrary.
Then there was Obama on June 17: "What I can say unequivocally is that if you are a U.S. person, the NSA cannot listen to your telephone calls, and the NSA cannot target your emails and have not." (http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/06/17/pres-obama-if-you-are-a-us-citizen-the-nsa-cannot-listen-to-your-telephone-calls-and-the-nsa-cannot-target-your-emails/)
This was countered by leaked FISA secret court documents on June 20: "...orders which allow the NSA to make use of information "inadvertently" collected from domestic US communications without a warrant" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/20/fisa-court-nsa-without-warrant)
And on June 25, the NSA deleted the FISA fact sheet after being called out by Wyden and Udall. That is, the fact sheet lied, Wyden and and Udall said so, and the NSA pulled it, more or less confirming that it contained lies. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/nsa-fisa-fact-sheet_n_3499026.html)
The leaks seem to be coming out in a clever order, starting with the most credible. An obvious benefit of this is that each lends credence to the next. Perhaps less obviously, each time the government passes up an opportunity to come clean, it makes the lies more obvious. We might have already known (or guessed) all this stuff, but now we have government officials on record lying about the extent of surveillance, over and over, just before backtracking to defend it.
So I've switched to Duck Duck go, because the EFF said it was ok (and I'll change again when a better non-US alternative comes along),
https://startpage.com/ is an anonymizing front-end for Google search, based in the Netherlands.
Details here: https://startpage.com/eng/prism-program-exposed.html
https://www.ixquick.com/ is an independent search engine, apparently by the same company in the Netherlands.
I started using startpage.com yesterday. So far so good, although I'm not used to seeing ads in my search results.
What terrorist organization communicate on twitter?
For example, if people were really upset about the government spying on them, they might use social media to organize.
Except in Antarctica, where 100% of the screens are 1600x900.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.