Please see the Troll Zoo to understand why I do this kind of thing. It's not like pointing out trolls needs an explanation but I wrote one anyway. Enjoy, the spotlight on Lemmy Caution that follows.
This is a sample of posts from user Lemmy Caution (8378) advocating M$. The usual Steve Barkto pattern is seen but this one is very subtle. He presents himself as someone old enough to be Barkto himself, balanced and wise. As the General Hate section shows, this person is happy enough to pander to mean spirited humor but usually presents political arguments that will be received well by Slashdot's audience. Overall, negative, offtopic and inflammatory things are said about GNU/Linux and free software while M$ software and practices are praised.
- Says Windows Registry editing and patching is easier than editing
- Dismisses Vista hardware problems as fanboy complaints because he once had a hard time playing games on GNU/Linux and OS/2. At the time Wine could run DX9 games, giving GNU/Linux better ability to play games than Vista.
- Calls someone a "dumbass fanboy" for not liking Vista's digital restrictions.
- Classic "Microsoft has some excellent technologies" [and is older than the hills] defense of M$
- Falsely equates MSN Music and ITunes digital restrictions and quality.
- Most Nerds have no taste but color theory is bullshit
- M$ digital restrictions will win the day. This a variant of the "we've already won" argument often made by M$ reps.
- M$ and IE call the shots on the internet. Sane people code to W3C standards, not IE.
- M$ was right to fire Mac fan.
- Apple is nastier than M$
Free Software Hate.
- Calls most Slashdot readers "the hobbyist community
- Rant against "Microsoft alternatives" and the "anti-Microsoft chorus" as if all free sotware were just a vendetta against M$. This is an insult right out of the "Microsoft Haters" playbook.
- Me too shilling of someone's "Linux is not for everyone" offtopic jibe
- Decries alleged rude free software behavior and ongoing problems with troubleshooting and resolving bugs desktop users are going to have in Linux because a lack of coordination between said rude developers. As a desktop user, I never had this problem and I doubt Mr. Caution did either because he claims not to use GNU/Linux as a desktop.
- If you run Linux, you will spend 6 hours to make mail work
- Forums are useless for product evaluation. If that's so, why does he read Slashdot?
- Australians are criminals, hilarious not.
- Misogyny, and and again. Having been called a "twat" on numerous occasions, I wondered what kind of person uses that word.
- MySpace is shit.
Another thread is more damning. Rather suspiciously, he misspells and misrepresents the work of his alleged linguistics professor, Dr. Sam A. Mchombo. The phrase "morphological and syntactic structure" comes off the good professor's page but nowhere is the study of English mentioned and the man's specialty happens to be Bantu languages. The date of his arrival in the US is 1984, a little too late to be a professor to someone who claims to have been playing MUDs since the 70s. The conversation is a giant, off topic rant with patently offensive racial overtones about Africa that has nothing to do with an interview with an Interview with Dr. Villanueva or free software. The mistakes are unlikely from a real student, especially one who claims to now work in academia. The thread was probably fabricated by sockpuppets of the same person behind the Lemmy Caution account. Conclusion: Massive Troll and Sockpuppet Master.