Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!

  • View

  • Discuss

  • Share

We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).

×

Comment: MacBook Amateur laptop won't charge below 5C (Score 1) 598

by slashbart (#48739533) Attached to: Tumblr Co-Founder: Apple's Software Is In a Nosedive

My wifes Macbook Amateur laptop won't charge when the machine is below some 5 degrees C or so. It will run from the mains adapter, but the battery refuses to charge. We have to warm up the laptop (by playing a computer game for instance) before it starts charging. It actually has some sort of message in the status icon of the battery about this. This for a machine aimed at traveling professionals.

So much for Professional high quality hardware. Although it did survive a drop from 1.5 meter onto the tarmac. But so did my Sony Vaio; and that charges just fine at the same temperature.

Also, the wifi of the Mac sucks, compared to the Vaio, and a Samsung Galaxy Note. It's not stable, and far less sensitive.

I will not buy more Mac hardware, nor the Vaio actually (heat issues). Lenovo looks promising.

Comment: Re:Happens when you call people "deniers" (Score 1) 735

by slashbart (#39927011) Attached to: Heartland Institute Learning To Troll On Billboards
So even if your figure of 97% is correct, the other 3% are politically motivated? Those 3 % (dozens or hundreds of scientists) are all paid by the oil industry? They are all status quo (Nir Shaviv with his zero-energy house)?
I'm a denier because I'm right wing? I'm not actually, I typically vote Dutch Animal Party, and have even voted SP.
I wish this ridiculous antagonism would stop, I really do...

Comment: Re:Happens when you call people "deniers" (Score 1) 735

by slashbart (#39926849) Attached to: Heartland Institute Learning To Troll On Billboards
Going into the meat of the article: the article shows clearly that the suns changes as logged via cosmic ray modulation via the suns magnetic field in Be-10 isotopes have a profound effect on climate. No one really knows how this occurs, maybe it's Svensmarks hypothesis, or maybe something else (as suggested in the article).
All IPCC consensus science works with GCM's that assume the only relevant solar variability is in TSI, and since the changes in TSI over time are very small, the models have to include large (ca. 6) amplification factors to map a link from CO2 to average planetary temperature.
The article shows that other mechanisms are active, and make it likely that the current GCM's are off.

Comment: Re:Last I knew (Score 3) 735

by slashbart (#39926325) Attached to: Heartland Institute Learning To Troll On Billboards
Ok here's some evidence: fresh of the press: Nature Geoscience One of the co-authors (Dr. Bas van Geel) is actually very skeptical of AGW, because all of the GCM's underestimate the effect of the sun on climate. I tend to agree with his ideas, based on measurements, seems to me more evidence based than the output of computer models.

Comment: Re:Happens when you call people "deniers" (Score 1) 735

by slashbart (#39926273) Attached to: Heartland Institute Learning To Troll On Billboards
Ok here's some evidence: fresh of the press: Nature Geoscience One of the co-authors (Dr. Bas van Geel) is actually very skeptical of AGW, because all of the GCM's underestimate the effect of the sun on climate. I tend to agree with his ideas, based on measurements, seems to me more evidence based than the output of computer models.

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."

Working...