There's no way the politicians will change the law so they can no longer get paid
They may fight us, but I refuse to roll-over and play dead.
I'm moderately active in trying to raise awareness of such practices:
- I contact politicians and express my dissatisfaction
- I contact advocacy groups / unions / etc and show my support
- I add comments on popular Australian newspaper forums, aiming to raise awareness and expose the hypocrisy and moral corruption of our politicians
(if nothing else, I can at least sow disdain with the current parties)
- I contact journalists and give them suggestions for stories that will also raise awareness of corrupt practices
- I share facts with family, friends and colleagues -- again, to sow disdain with the current setup (conscious not to become overbearing)
And I always make it clear that I loathe both major parties in Australia. It pains me when I see my fellow Australians blindly support one party and vilify the other: both parties are horrible! I believe we need to weaken the major parties (which necessarily means more smaller parties) so that they adjust their stance and truly serve the public.
In the future, I'm hoping to mobilise my neighbours into getting active and seeking to participate in our local (municipal) politics. So many local seats are so darn marginal, one only needs to influence a couple of hundred people to change the outcome.
Yes, I'm very hopeful (naive? deluded?) but I've made some waves, and will continue to.
Please don't lose hope. Become a thorn in their side!