And I'm still waiting for one of the LENR/CANR dudes to blow themselves up mini-nuke-style.
Any invention capable of producing enough useful energy in small enough a package can be, and will (accidentally or not), eventually turn into a bomb. It's the boom-threshold of power engineering.
Study Finds Communists Are Worse Than Radiation For Chernobyl Animals
Because then Encyclopedia Dramatica will create a page for your "Hero"-ness.
Remember, kids: if it was the drugs that made you do it, you get no points.
Iain Banks' Culture just got more realistic XD
They should hire only the 80% who fail the tests, as the remaining 20% obviously can beat the polygraph with ease and are not trustworthy.
Sure my country has changed... for the worse. The guy who planted the bomb on the ship's hull actually came out and confessed his guilt and regrets. Nowadays ? They're just outraged you could even think of calling them on their hypocrisy.
Anarchy, in the libertarian extremist sense which I am actually advocating for realzies, isn't "absence of functioning government". What I mean by anarchy is better defined as "institutionnalized repression of coercion". That is quite a different beast, and Somalia doesn't qualify quite. However one thing Somalia does qualify for, is that it is (was) less of an offender than many of its neighboring countries, and that aspect translated into "surprising" progress (rising literacy and college attendance, huge drop in contagious diseases, formation of xeer-driven local courts, etc.) in the 00s, as observed by the World Bank analysts who went there at the time.
In the USA, generally, hourly employees whose travel is required for the job must be paid for their travel time, with the exception of home to work (and work to home).
This one's been frustrating me a lot: I apparently cannot search my own TL or my own tweets for that nugget of info / chart / URL that I need again.
The same applies: I think it's a bad thing, just as it would be a bad thing to see happen in humans.
considering how many people with even modertely useful degrees are under or unemployed; you're not getting those sunk costs back. And that is going to get worse as the population climbs.
Unemployment has nothing to do with population numbers. Many (most ?) countries in this world enjoy low unemployment figures with growing demographics.
No, diversity is not skewed in any direction. A vast number of different factors help or hamper in the reproductive success of any given individual, and as the population increases, even that growth generates new factors, and those new factors also tend to create layers of new factors of their own, etc. For example species that evolve mating rituals also end up evolving strategies that circumvent those rituals, and counter-strategies for detecting these 'sneakers', etc. And changing conditions eventually disturb any dynamic equilibrium they might get at. It never ends at any given point.
I think if 4 billion humans dropped dead next week, we'd all be better off long-term.
And you're dead wrong, even if all the cadavers mysteriously and magically turned into basic mineral components and were sprinkled all over the planet (instead of rotting wherever they dropped dead, contaminating air and water with diseases durably over the following weeks).
An 8 billion human population is overall better for mankind and also arguably for the planet, than just 1 billion.
Long-term, a forcibly reduced population would mean a lot less human capital (which is our true ultimate cap for progress potential), and a lot less competition for the same environmental resources, incentivizing a higher waste of these resources. Also, we'd be losing a lot of diversity, setting us back evolutionarily, and we'd just end up with more numerous but less adaptively fit individuals. This effect is well known and observed in all kinds of living organism populations, from bacteria to complex, social animals.
Oh and, if you'd honestly believe killing people is ultimately doing people a service, you'd have started killing already. Or are you just a cowardly homicidal hypocrite ?
... would be for them to establish sound and sane epistemological foundations for their works. For example they could stop trying to assert they can model human behavior, and instead limit themselves to observations of economical choices made by real, live humans only.
People are always available for work in the past tense.