Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:Appre (Score 1) 221

by mattwarden (#47526381) Attached to: VP Biden Briefs US Governors On H-1B Visas, IT, and Coding

> We don't pay for people to go to college in this country

Um, what? Assuming you are here in the US, then you are simply wrong. The government pays a very large percentage of the cost of public school tuition by subsidizing in various ways, and it pays a smaller but still substantial percentage of private school tuition by subsidizing in fewer various ways. So, pretty much just like K-12, except that percentage isn't 100%.

Comment: Re:Appre (Score 1) 221

by mattwarden (#47520481) Attached to: VP Biden Briefs US Governors On H-1B Visas, IT, and Coding

> On the other hand, the way H-1B visa program works is that it provides "apprenticeships" for foreigners, and they got back to their own country, taking their skills with them, start up their own businesses in their own countries, create job opportunities for their own people, not Americans

We did not invest in this person for 16 years in the public school system. This is better than an American leaving the US after her frist job and starting up the company you mention that employs foreigners. So honestly I do not get what you are whining about.

Comment: Re:Yay! Hopenchange! (Score 1) 221

by mattwarden (#47520465) Attached to: VP Biden Briefs US Governors On H-1B Visas, IT, and Coding

That's great, but you cannot ignore that it reduces the wage you can command on average in the market. Wages are prices controlled by supply and demand, and fewer opportunities are open to you because you have no degree. Yes, you can say those employers are ignorant, but it doesn't really matter.

Comment: Re:Alternate view (Score 1) 346

by mattwarden (#47509097) Attached to: Netflix Reduces Physical-Disc Processing, Keeps Prices the Same

Correct. This is called stealth price inflation.

This guy is so bothered by this, he came to slashdot and wrote up a story? Who cares. If you want to have the same experience, supplement with a redbox once every two months when you would actually be affected by this policy change. What is that, 50 cents per month more?

If you love physical disc netflix so much, why wouldn't you be supportive of this move that clearly makes physical disc processing viable for another x months? People who whine like this do not have top-of-mind that services you enjoy are provided by companies whose entire purpose is to be profitable, and as soon as a service offering you like results in less profit relative to alternatives requiring the same resources, your service offering goes away.

Comment: Re: Does anyone oppose this? tsarkon reports (Score 1) 155

by mattwarden (#47508841) Attached to: Fighting Climate Change With Trade

> Because when you put in an AGW term, the models do much better than if you leave out any AGW term

And what if they did better by subtracting in the average clown shoe size at the time to the computed average global temperature?

> If you can demonstrate that models with the average shoe size of red-headed clowns as a factor do better than those without, then I will absolutely accept it as a parameter

Then I believe this proves you are an idiot.

> Kind of have to, mathematically

Only if you don't understand math.

> How is it you are so ignorant of what is, not only the basic tenet of mathematical modeling, so completely intuitively obvious, that factors which make the model fit significantly better are kept, those that don't are dropped? Are you expending a lot of mental energy to maintain this impenetrable denseness? Why?

I get it. Rather than understanding why a model that fits best doesn't mean the model is correct or even close, you spend time convincing yourself you should dismiss me.

Enjoy:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Comment: Re: Local testing works? (Score 1) 776

by mattwarden (#47508721) Attached to: States That Raised Minimum Wage See No Slow-Down In Job Growth

All you said was that other evidence could be used to prove the crime and wouldn't be needed from the person accused. Well of course that gets around the 5th Amendment issue. What the hell is your point? Are you just looking for me to say you got around the 5th Amendment issue? Ok. If you don't do the thing that causes the 5th Amendment issue, then of course you "got around" it. Congratulations. But just asserting that other evidence will prove it seems a bit odd, which is why you come off as just trying to win something. I'm not interested.

The bogosity meter just pegged.

Working...