Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:The future of telescopes. (Score 1) 185

by laughing_badger (#35231390) Attached to: How To Build a Telescope That Trumps Hubble

Well, I reasoned this out myself, so maybe I'm wrong, but basically superconducting cameras are able to register every photon that sees them, sending off ~18000 electrons per photon hit. CCDs, on the other hand, send off 1 electron for every photon hit (I read that a while ago but I think those are the numbers).

Since CCD sensors are so much less sensitive...

Actually, they are equally sensitive. They are both capable of telling us that 1 photon impact occurred. You can't get any more sensitive than that.

Comment: Re:I'm sure they're (Score 1) 608

by laughing_badger (#34601082) Attached to: North Korea Says War With South Would Go Nuclear
The V1 'Doodlebug' shows that this technology was achievable, if desired. The OP is talking about theoretical plans that never made it anywhere near implementation -- as you indicate, they are ridiculous. However, the ability to fly a predetermined flight plan with a crash into a city at the end, powered by an radioisotope to electric powerplant is reasonable.

Comment: Re:I just love the "new" security features... (Score 3, Funny) 211

by laughing_badger (#34460594) Attached to: Facebook Rolls Out Redesigned Profile Pages

Hello! Your entire first grade class had the same teacher. Your friends know the name of your pets and the street you lived on. Your cousins sure as hell know the rest of the questions like mother's maiden name etc.

Why not just give everyone the default code of 0000 or 12345? It's about the same level of security.

Explains why social sites are always down when I try to sign up - little Bobby Tables was in my class.

Image

Smart Wallets React To Spending By Shrinking 98

Posted by samzenpus
from the smaller-by-the-hour dept.
fangmcgee writes "These high-tech wallets are digitally programmed to react to your bank account levels by shrinking in size, refusing to open, or vibrating whenever a transaction is processed. From the article: 'The Proverbial Wallets come in three attractive styles to fit your spending needs: The Mother Bear has a constricting hinge that makes it harder to open the closer you approach your monthly budget, while the Bumblebee buzzes every time a transaction is processed. The Peacock inflates and deflates with the amount of cash in your account, which puts your assets on “display” for potential mates, according to the designers.'"

Comment: Re:Desperate for a Job (Score 1) 897

by laughing_badger (#34221328) Attached to: Which Language To Learn?

Love it or Hate it C# is pretty much the only langauge in demand by big business these days in the UK unless he's perfectly happy doing small freelance jobs etc which PHP is fine.

That's not the number you are after though. What you want is ( num_jobs_lang_N / num_applicants_lang_N ). As someone earning good money with C and FORTRAN in the space industry who has never been unemployed, I really couldn't care what 99.99% of the jobs are. Being able to get the other 0.01% keeps a roof over my head.

Piracy

Sony Gets Nasty With PSBreak Buyers 246

Posted by Soulskill
from the give-it-a-rest dept.
YokimaSun writes "The war between hackers and Sony over the PlayStation 3 has now taken an even more sinister turn, with Sony going after not just shops but actual buyers of the PSBreak dongle, threatening them with fines of many thousands of Euros and forcing them to sign cease-and-desist letters. It seems Sony will use any means necessary to thwart both homebrew and piracy on the PS3."
Image

Open Sarcasm Fighting Copyrighted Punctuation 155

Posted by samzenpus
from the free-language dept.
pinkushun writes "SarcMark is a copyrighted punctuation mark, that claims 'It's time that sarcasm is treated equally!' Pretty damn cheeky while they're charging for their software, which only inserts their punctuation through a hotkey. Open Sarcasm is destroying SarcMark by advocating a new punctuation mark (not displaying here properly — alt+U0161) as the new open and free sarcasm symbol. Either way, this will be one interesting turnout. With bad unicode support across the web, displaying the characters properly might be an issue. PS Left out sarcastic end sentence as Slashdot doesn't display the U0161 character."

The end of labor is to gain leisure.

Working...