Will be interested to see how AI deals with a mountain pass or city traffic; I think autonomous trucks will need human assistance for at least the foreseeable future.
The same way how AI or computer currently deals with other things that are beyond their ability... either avoid it, or signal for operator intervention.
Wouldn't be hard to imagine a team of drivers sitting in a control centers around the world to remotely handle any call-for-help from the auto-trucks. They would be able to see and hear what's around the truck, plus any information they needed, from the cameras/mics/sensors on the truck. The truck can have loudspeakers so the operator can talk to anyone (e.g. cops and other drivers) near the truck. They can remotely drive the truck if needed. In the worst case, they can park the truck at the side of the road and send a truck with a real driver to pick up the cargo, then send the empty truck back.
Or, for particularly tricky pass and roads, auto-trucks just completely avoid them, leaving them for real drivers. For non-urgent deliveries, it would be cheaper for the AI to take an AI-manageable roundabout route than to use a more-expensive human driver through the shorter route. For AI with infinite patience, they could be limited to use roads that are safe for trucks. Even if that just works for 70% of all trucking, that would make economic sense. Human drivers can work on the remaining 30%, until the AI slowly improves and eventually take over more and more of it.
Just like how drones are being piloted. Humans can take over when needed, while the AI can operate the remaining 99% of the boring times. Doesn't mean fighter pilots are all fired, but there won't be as many needed.
So, as a former trucker, would YOU like to drive a truck inside the truck, with all the hardships on the road, plus the risk of injury and death from accidents. OR would you like to drive it from an safe, air-conditioned control center near your home, where you can easily take breaks and go home everyday after an 8-hour shift?