What makes Java special:
- it was the first ever platform to unify different platforms and systems under the same umbrella, accessible by the same API
- to this day, it still is the only platform on which you can reuse your expertise and develop for anything, from x86 machines to machines like system z and SPARC and even smart phones and smart cards. You know Java? You can work on any of those systems. Aint that something?
- Java can run on bare metal hypervisor, without an actual OS (Jrockit virtual edition)
- It's also the only true enterprise ready open platform, approved by FSF
- It's vendor independent and is going to stay that way, with at least two major vendors behind it (IBM and Oracle).
Can you say so what o any of those?