Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment: Re:The problem in the US... (Score 1) 298

by invalid_user (#34695236) Attached to: Can Movies Inspire Kids To Be Future Scientists?

The top 1% of professors are the likes of Terrence Tao (mostly the entire population of the math departments of the world's universities). The remaining 99% of assistant/associate/full professors fight with the usual dirty tricks:

- knowing people in high places or being supervised by one (the benefits are immense: you can publish in better venues, and get better job offers),
- publishing uncountably many junk articles to boost up impact factor (for either self or for colleagues in the same clique),
- securing grants with buzzword-laden proposals.

Of course, your personal experiences may vary.

Now about that IQ thing and how much it matters. My theory is: "Once you understand higher maths, you're halfway to anywhere" (with apologies to Heinlein).


Immaculate Conception In a Boa Constrictor 478

Posted by samzenpus
from the gold-frankincense-and-mice dept.
crudmonkey writes "Researchers have discovered a biological shocker: female boa constrictors are capable of giving birth asexually. But the surprise doesn't end there. The study in Biology Letters found that boa babies produced through this asexual reproduction — also known as parthenogenesis — sport a chromosomal oddity that researchers thought was impossible in reptiles. While researchers admit that the female in the study may have been a genetic freak, they say the findings should press researchers to re-think reptile reproduction. Virgin birth among reptiles, especially primitive ones like boas, they argue may be far commoner than ever expected."

Comment: Re:Queue the Libertarian Rants! (Score 1) 181

by invalid_user (#33517964) Attached to: BP's Gulf Spill Report Shows String of Failures

Usually in discussions with people on /. the libertarians are moderated down, I wouldn't be surprised to see your comment go down to -1 Troll for no reason other than you have some principles and the moderators hate them.

Except when a post quickly follows and claims that the parent post will be modded down, in which case the parent post will be modded up.

Comment: Re:Good advice for all developers (Score 1) 108

by invalid_user (#31182340) Attached to: PageRank-Type Algorithm From the 1940s Discovered

Ha ha, then you won't be able to publish any paper.

The research world is now filled with researchers who simply don't read others' works, and just keep writing. Even if it's been done before (or even if it doesn't make any sense at all), eventually they will be able to find a venue that will accept the paper, because no reviewer can know everything.

And worries not about citation! Those work will be cited because of exactly the same reasons, or even worse, because the party who cites it has performed work that has been superseded by other more advanced studies, and that shallow paper is the only one that can justify his (equally shallow) work.

Remember, in the end, it's the guy who publishes the most that wins.

Comment: Re:Values (Score 1) 409

by invalid_user (#30113748) Attached to: UN Officials Remove Poster Mentioning Chinese Firewall

Can more people mod parent insightful, please?

The Human Rights Council has been hijacked by Islamists in the last few years.

Human rights no longer mean rights to speak, but rather rights to control speeches.

Now it's all right with me if they want to control the post-modernist idiots who just want to blabber nonsense all day, but science must be allowed to speak --- against religions if the evidences say so.

It's a pity no news agency is willing to cover the story.

C for yourself.