Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system


Forgot your password?

Comment Outsourced IT? (Score 1) 190

Bean counters consider engineers and IT workers to be fungible, so they like to boost quarterly profits by getting rid of experienced company employees and filling the seats with much less expensive and less experienced contractors who don't fully understand the jobs they are filling. No idea if that's what happened at NYSE and United, but I've seen it happen other places and result in "glitches".

Comment Fake job bro (Score 5, Informative) 491

I work in a small town with a very small number of high tech employers. The place across town posted a job with extremely specific job requirements that happened to align perfectly with my resume... I applied for the job and immediately received a back channel request to withdraw my application because the job opening was posted for a temporary foreign worker they had who had to be given a permanent position or go home... Apparently they were required to post the job and could only hire her if there were no qualified applicants who were US citizens... It's a small town, I didn't want to burn bridges, and already had a good job so I withdrew but I wonder how often this happens where the applicant for the fake job does not get a heads up and has his time wasted interviewing for a fake job opening...

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.