AC, Your excuses are weak sauce.
- There are other large cars besides the crown vic.
- You can rent large cars for big trips, or take umbrella strollers, or borrow strollers from friends at the destination, (or deal without, gasp!). You can't tell me that you justify having an SUV because you need to move a stroller around.
- It's possible to rent trucks from hardware stores, they cost very little. UHaul and Penske trucks are cost effective ways to move large objects as well. I tend to get things delivered, and sometimes borrow friends trucks.
- Engine size: not even worth arguing.
- A $125 Saris Bones bike rack will work on 95% of vehicles (image search it if you don't believe me), equally inexpensive options exist for the other 5%.
- Because you can work on it: Also not worth arguing.
- You have the cause/effect backwards. It's not, "we drive SUVs because there are fewer wagons", more like: "there are fewer wagons because drive SUVs". Volvo stopped importing the V70, for example, due to declining sales (they still import the XC70 "off road wagon" though). Subaru stopped importing the Legacy wagon (they still import the Outback wagon). Sales of these vehicles are strong abroad. This is about vanity and excessiveness, not practicality or reasonableness.
- My spare tire isn't full sized, but it is full diameter. I've used it once in 10 years, and it worked great. No issues.
For the record, I have a wife, two young children, and a large dog. I drive a seven passenger Volvo V70 station wagon. My thoughts on my swedish meatball:
It's around 33% more energy efficient than most SUVs. This alone is huge.
It accelerates faster, stops shorter, and handles better than most SUVs.
It is less likely to roll over than an SUV in an accident.
It goes offroad more often than most SUVs. It does just fine. (we camp a lot)
Between the cavernous interior space plus my 18 CuFt Thule Cascade roof cargo box, I believe that I can haul just as much cargo than most SUVs. Plenty for me (and if I needed more space, I'd rent a van for said trip).