Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Hmm - is this really like TCP (Score 3, Interesting) 133

by dirkx (#41136787) Attached to: Stanford Researchers Discover the 'Anternet'
From the article:

.. feedback loop allows TCP [to run][ congestion avoidance: If acks return at a slower rate than the data was sent out, that indicates that there is little bandwidth available, and the source throttles...

which does seem to be a far cry from TCP. While common lore (and the modern buffer bloated internet) has it that high RTT means little available bandwidth (and it sure does play havoc with the bandwidth product - giving rise to that lore fairly) - the design calls for packet drop rather than delay to indicate a link being overloaded. And while the source slows down - it does not actually throttles; it just awaits the ack - it wont slow down the next packets. It is just that the window won't grow further. So makes one think of the observations in RFC-2488.

Comment: Re:Venue choice? (Score 2) 156

by dirkx (#34966382) Attached to: Google Submits VP8 Draft To the IETF
And there is also the expectation of "But the IETF document still plays a subordinate role to that source code.'' in the original article. However one interesting expectation or requirement of IETF standards is that one expects at least one, ideally two, independent implementations based on the written spec. This would alleviate the concerns that the VP8 case is too leading - as one has now an example of an independently derived code base - which has taken the written spec as its lead - and secondly it would also give the community a very fair idea as to any residual IPR issues, by Google or by others. Thanks, Dw.
Programming

+ - HTML 5 emerges as a platform

Submitted by itjoblog
itjoblog (1753984) writes "My first real encounter with what we loosely call "HTML 5" was nearly three years ago, at a 2007 Future of Web Applications conference in London. Mozilla's John Resig showed features including the Canvas element, SVG, video and audio. I reported on it here, noting that it might be too late to disrupt the momemtum behind Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight...

I would not have guessed that in 2010 Microsoft itself would demonstrate a version of Internet Explorer with support for these features. I'm referring to the version 9 fourth platform preview, which you can try out here. In case you missed it, the new IE scores 95% on the Acid 3 CSS stress test (and the other 5% is unimportant), performs creditably on the SunSpider JavaScript performance test, being more then ten times faster than IE8, and implements significant parts of HTML 5 including Canvas, SVG, Video and Audio..."
Games

An Inside Look At Warhammer Online's Server Setup 71

Posted by Soulskill
from the hate-to-see-the-power-bill dept.
An article at Gamasutra provides some details on the hardware Mythic uses to power Warhammer Online, courtesy of Chief Technical Officer Matt Shaw and Online Technical Director Andrew Mann. Quoting: "At any given time, approximately 2,000 servers are in operation, supporting the gameplay in WAR. Matt Shaw commented, 'What we call a server to the user, that main server is actually a cluster of a number of machines. Our Server Farm in Virginia, for example,' Mann said, 'has about 60 Dell Blade chassis running Warhammer Online — each hosting up to 16 servers. All in all, we have about 700 servers in operation at this location.' ... 'We use blade architecture heavily for Warhammer Online,' Mann noted. 'Almost every server that we deploy is a blade system. We don't use virtualization; our software is somewhat virtualized itself. We've always had the technology to run our game world across several pieces of hardware. It's application-layer clustering at a process level. Virtualization wouldn't gain us much because we already run very close to peak CPU usage on these systems.' ... The normalized server configuration — in use across all of the Mythic-managed facilities — features dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors running at 3 GHz with 8 GB of RAM."

Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

Working...