Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment: Re:Stephen Fry's previous good stuff: gnu bday (Score 1) 126

by commrade (#34351836) Attached to: Stephen Fry and DVD Jon Back USB Sniffer Project

Freedom *is* the ability to do things. A phone that I can compile a kernel module for lets me do a lot more things than one where I may purchase pre-approved entertainment centric apps.

1700s: "Give me freedom or give me death!"

2000s: "Give me freedom or... oooh, is that an iPhone?"

/me slowly turns into RMS.

Comment: Re:Ok, but (Score 1) 1138

by commrade (#32214126) Attached to: Too Many College Graduates?

I certainly meant no disparagement. The OP implied that if you were even 10% below average intelligence, you could never pass a Calculus class. I think the deal with calc is that it's pretty hard to teach but once you understand it, it can seem fundamental and simple.

I'm not sure if there are different kinds of intelligence. I'd like to think that the human mind is at least equivalent to (and likely a super set of) a Turing machine. Then the difference would really be one of inclination. People excel at what they are actually interested in. I probably couldn't pass a Business class to save my life.

Comment: Re:Here's the world's smallest violin... (Score 1) 249

by commrade (#32197598) Attached to: Outsourcing Unit To Be Set Up In Indian Jail

Not all felons have caused actual damage to society. Felonies are handed out to enemies of the state as a way of labeling them, keeping them out of the middle class no matter how hard they work. People are denied lawyers. Cops and other witnesses sometimes lie.

Or would you rather believe that we have 1/4 of the world's prison population because Americans are just more likely to be criminals?

A Felon


Spitzer's 5-Gigapixel Milky Way 124

Posted by kdawson
from the zoom-zoom dept.
James Harold writes "Today NASA unveiled a new infrared mosaic of our galaxy. The result of over 800,000 individual images collected by the Spitzer Space Telescope, it is the largest, highest-resolution, and most sensitive infrared picture ever taken of the Milky Way (and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future). Because Spitzer sees in infrared, it penetrates much farther into the galaxy, revealing previously hidden star clusters, star-forming regions, shocked gases, glowing 'bubbles' and more. The complete mosaic is about 400,000 by 13,000 pixels, and a 180' printed version is being shown at the American Astronomical Society meeting in St. Louis. A zoomable, annotated version of two different variants on the image (as well as some additional information on the science) is available at Alien Earths, a NASA- and NSF-supported education site." The Spitzer survey is already causing a stir potentially bigger than that raised when Pluto was deemed not a planet: two minor spiral arms of the Milky Way may be demoted.

+ - Rural Telecommuting

Submitted by Anonymous Coward
An anonymous reader writes: I'm a consultant with over 20 years of professional experience in application and database development with some networking/security and web development experience under my belt, and I'm currently finishing up my Masters' in Comp. Sci (via distance learning). I'm sick and tired of both consulting and living on the East Coast and I'm looking to move west where there's some more "elbow room" (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or the like — mountains or high desert a must) and the opportunity to live in a more "rural" fashion. My question to the slashdot community is this: Given that a large percentage of technology jobs are clustered around the larger metro areas, what advice (serious, please) do any of you have regarding the easiest and/or best way to make a transition from my current situation to a work-from-home opportunity that would allow me to live where I wanted without forcing me to change my career to firewatcher?

Toward A Unified Description Of Dark Energy And Dark Matter->

From feed by sdfeed
From various independent observations, cosmologists have established that ordinary matter, made of protons and neutrons, accounts for only 4% of the total energy content of the Universe. The remaining 96% is made of puzzling ingredients Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Researchers at the Laboratory Universe and Theories from the Observatory of Paris and the Belgian Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique have recently suggested the Abnormally Weighting Energy (AWE) Hypothesis to describe the dark side of the Universe as a revolutionary aspect of gravitational physics.
Link to Original Source

I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me!