Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:Australia is leading the way! (Score 1) 238

> Our leader removed the minister for science!

The U.S. doesn't have a secretary for science either. Some countries do, others don't.

> He has reduced funding for our science organization [sic]* CSIRO

organiSation - Australian spelling. Yes this is very unfortunate, as are the ABC funding cuts. Hopefully it's a temporary situation - force an organisation to re-think priorities, then later review. It's an "easy" (for government) way of forcing an organisation to cut things it doesn't really feel are necessary - forcing it to "re-focus". Very clumsy and "blunt instrument" way of doing it (as opposed to an actual independent review) but that's government for you.

> condemned renewable energy

He's said a lot of stupid things, but happily Abbott has now rejected cutting the renewable energy target.

> promoted coal

Because other countries buy it. One can't really tell a country not to market their natural resources.

> destroyed our manufacturing sector

That happened a long time ago, not caused by the current government.

> and is pushing to make university only for the rich.

Not intentionally, but "deregulation" is what the Liberal Party has always been about, like the Republicans in the U.S. People should know that and vote accordingly. You can't blame a party for being what it is. Deregulation should be expected from them, it's not Abbott in particular.

However, Abbott lied through his teeth about all their policies prior to the election, and that you *can* blame a party for. There should be a law to invalidate an election when that happens - how can you have voting and Democracy when politicians do the complete opposite to everything they said up to the election? That's the *real* crime here. If they had been honest and up front about everything before the election, they would not have gotten in at all. That shouldn't be too much to expect in a modern country.

Comment: Re:What's the point ? (Score 1) 185

by cavebison (#48071363) Attached to: Downtown Project Suicides Shock High Tech Community

> I just graduated with a degree in chemical and biological engineering

May I ask what country you studied in? In the U.S (and now soon in Australia) it is very hard to just "go back to school", if not impossible for many people, purely from a financial point of view. For many people, in terms of study & changing careers, there are only 1 or 2 chances.

Comment: Re:Alright smart guy (Score 1) 504

by cavebison (#47965495) Attached to: Ask Slashdot: Is iOS 8 a Pig?

> ....then get ready for your next pill.

Really? I'm still using my Galaxy S2 and *very* happy with it. Rooted, firewall, no ads, plays games, GPS. I can even call people. Why would I want to upgrade? Once my contract was over, I got another contract just to have a backup phone - Galaxy S3. I use it chiefly as a TV / multimedia remote in the lounge room. It doesn't even have a SIM card, that's how content I am with my S2 as a phone.

Admittedly 4G would be a bit nicer than 3G but I don't surf on the phone so who cares. It does everything I need. Oh and taking photos? WFT do you want to use a phone for taking photos? I have a little Canon S200 that shits all over any phone camera because.. well, it's a camera, that's what it's for.

Comment: Re:expert skill-based integration (Score 1) 160

by cavebison (#47547581) Attached to: Soccer Superstar Plays With Very Low Brain Activity

> They drill this into us all the time in martial arts. When fighting, you don't have time to sit and think about your next move, it just has to come naturally, like some kind of instinct.

You're talking about "reflex", not "muscle memory". I've done martial arts too, and found the problem with this approach is that, if someone has very reflexive, "automatic" defensive moves, it's very easy for an attacker to take advantage of that by baulking. Making the defender expect an attack in one place, then attacking somewhere else instead. Reflexes don't deal with that very well.

Comment: Re:Finally! (Score 2) 474

Drugs are made more dangerous by being illegal

Not really, it depends what you mean by "illegal". Bear with me... Personally think illegality sends a good signal for kids - drugs are bad, m'key? - but the *punishment* is the question. Allowing police to arrest a user means these things:

1. For young people, parents get to know what their child is doing
2. Police can get the name of the *dealer* from the user
3. The user can be placed in mandatory rehab as "punishment".
4. If rehab isn't necessary, then the only punishment is a small fine.

User gets a slap on the wrist (or rehab) but police get the info they need. What's wrong with that?

If it's not illegal, it makes finding the dealers more difficult for police. PLUS - and I think this is the worst aspect of making them legal - drugs suddenly become a *legitimate business*. And we all know how ethically business behaves once they can deal in an addictive product.

Comment: Re:Black hole? (Score 1) 277

by cavebison (#47480527) Attached to: Sony Forgets To Pay For Domain, Hilarity Ensues

I find an easy solution is to make sure those sorts of emails all go to a single internal address which is then forwarded to *2 or 3 other people*. That way the IT manager gets it, the individual responsible for actually doing it gets it, and someone else as a backup.

This reminds everyone how important it is, and people communicate to make sure it happens. The manager or backup person gets it and goes "ah, that guy isn't here anymore, we'd better sort that out".

Comment: Re:So there's 100 or so unimmunized? (Score 1) 387

by cavebison (#47247141) Attached to: California Whooping Cough Cases "an Epidemic"

Immunity is a collective endeavor. You're undermining it.

If you're responding to an American, it seems they're becoming less and less interested in "collective endeavours". I'm just waiting for someone to start calling mandatory immunisation "Socialism". The U.S. seems to have an enormous and growing number of people with an innate mistrust of science. Very different from the past, and very weird for a country who (briefly, it seems) became the technological powerhouse of the world.

Comment: Re:So there's 100 or so unimmunized? (Score 1) 387

by cavebison (#47247065) Attached to: California Whooping Cough Cases "an Epidemic"

yet the Slashdot Sheep are still defending this snake oil... Unbelievable.

Maybe you're a troll, I don't know. Others here have pointed out your misunderstanding of everything to do with 'flu, viruses and vaccinations. I'd like to point out why you're a hypocrite.

You're telling us we're "sheep" - for what? Following mainstream science which has given you everything you enjoy in the world, like TV, mobile phones, computers, the clothes you wear and the food you eat. You're criticising us for that? You don't see anything wrong with that mindset at all?

And secondly, following on from that, you're accusing us of having our heads in the sand - not seeing "the truth" as you see it. The problem with that attitude, is that you get your information from where - web sites, anecdotal stories from other people, heresay... and you obviously don't bother to fact-check any of it, otherwise you would very soon see the flaws in their logic, and yours.

So face the truth - people like you say you know "the truth", but in reality you DON'T CARE about the truth. You only care about what you WANT to be true. Real science, real facts, don't have attitudes or preferred opinions. Before you can even begin to understand facts and "The Truth", you need to shed your opinions and preferences. You have to stop wanting this or that to be true. Look at what you are being told, from all sides, with ZERO bias, and *check things for yourself*. That is what science is all about. Sure sometimes it is wrong, but the point is it's *self-correcting* because anyone who respects the process only wants to know what *is* true, not what they want to be true.

For your own benefit, for the sake of simple common sense... take a breath, leave your opinions at the door, and start really listening, reading and trying to *understand* what the issues are and what the truth is. Mindlessly repeating other people's opinions is not even letting yourself have your own opinion. Don't you want your opinions to at least be guided by your own thought and reasoning?

It comes down to what you want for yourself. A life lived in the shadow of bias and misinformation, like back in the dark ages; or a life where you're not afraid to question what you *want* to be true, and see the difference between unproven claims and proven claims. Demand proof from *both* sides of any debate.

Comment: Re:Physical Media (Score 1) 116

by cavebison (#47223299) Attached to: Physical Media: Down, But Maybe Not Out

Call me crazy but I prefer to have the physical copy. This way I can watch it anytime I want and I don't need to worry about the inevitable loss of Internet connectivity.

Not at all. I have physical copies of all my music and movies, although the physical media - my hard drive - is far more space-efficient than an optical disk. In fact, even 2 hard drives (one as a backup) is still far more space-efficient and, protected as they are in the computer case, I never have to worry about scratches.

Physical media is definitely not going away, even if those shiny coaster things do.

Comment: Re:We have already contacted alien civiliations. (Score 1) 686

by cavebison (#47223149) Attached to: Aliens and the Fermi Paradox

Even if someone had 100% proof of alien encounters, the signal to noise ratio is assumed to be no signal and all noise.

That's a complete contradiction. If someone had "100% proof", it would be seen as such, by definition. That's what "proof" is - the ability to prove something, beyond any reasonable person's doubt. To say anything important, which can be completely, irrevocably proven will be ignored, is simply ridiculous in modern times.

Comment: Re:We have already contacted alien civiliations. (Score 1) 686

by cavebison (#47223103) Attached to: Aliens and the Fermi Paradox

You don't really hear about this, but it's part of what started Fermi along the way towards his paradox.

Strange you should say that, as I just heard about it.

I always smile when people say, "no-one ever talks about this, but..."

Thanks for including me in the incredibly small cabal of individuals this has been mentioned to. I feel so special. :)

There is no distinction between any AI program and some existent game.

Working...