Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment Re: Glad to have it (Score 1) 451

On the basis of fatalities per 1billion km we are near the bottom of the list. We are worse than all of Western Europe other than Belgium. Even Spain and Italy which, if memory serves from the time I was involved in providing auto insurance for a rental car operation in Europe, lead Europe in traffic accidents of all kinds (or did, anyway).

Comment Re:Duh (Score 1) 462


Measles: rarely but occasionally fatal, even in first world countries
Mumps: can cause sterility in males
Varicella: (Chicken pox): Dramatically increases the risk of shingles later in life
Rubella (German measles): rarely but occasionally fatal. Pregnant women exposed to rubella have an increased risk of birth defects.
Influenza: occasionally fatal

Big phama does not set the standards for the administration of vaccines; that's done by the CDC. Take a couple hours and browse their various websites (hint: www.cdc.gov will get you started}. The CDC is a highly professional, evidence based organization that is the envy of the world. I am not a physician or other medical professional nor am I in the employ of a pharmaceutical company. Before I retired I used a number of CDC resources as the basis for risk analysis and risk forecasting which is where I got to know them reasonably well.

I also recommend the brit site badscience.net if you would like to learn more about vaccines on the plus side and the evils of big pharma on the other.

Comment Salvation of Newspapers (Score 2, Interesting) 50

Personally, I think the Kindle concept, once the screen gets up to something like 8" x 11" will be the salvation of newspapers. Color would be a help, too. The Kindle 2 has too small a screen to handle headlines and photographs, but landscape on 8" x 11" would work quite well. The ability to deliver the news immediately, and presumably to update during the day but yet in an easily readable screen of inconsquential weight powered by a long life battery might even get my wife to switch. And even to pay a subscription.

Submission + - FAA software aims to make business flights easier

coondoggie writes: "If you are a frequent business traveler you have to hope this is good news: The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) this week expanded a program that it says will reduce flight delays during the peak summer season. The Airspace Flow Program gives airlines the option of either accepting delays for flights scheduled to fly through storms or flying longer routes to maneuver around them. The agency said that it rolled out a new software program that ensures airports impacted by bad weather receive the maximum number of flights that can safely fly to them. During storms, arrival slots often open up due to delayed or canceled flights. The new software program, called Adaptive Compression, automatically fills those slots with the next available flight. The software tool, which was launched in March, reduces delays, saving time and money for the airlines and passengers. http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/1546 4"
The Almighty Buck

Submission + - "Silicon Valley Sucks" Says Wealthy Valley

jg21 writes: In a curious example of the Web 2.0 pot calling the Web 2.0 kettle black, Michael Arrington — acccording to a Social Computing Magazine headline — is saying Silicon Valley sucks. The man who claims an income of $120,000 a month from his TechCrunch site says that there's more money than sense in the Valley, and that it could use a downturn right about now. Eh?

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.