Many years ago when WiFi first came out and internet was still really slow I was active in a community based wireless FreeNet. We had set up multiple 10+ km links between our houses and had a full dynamically routed system spanning most of a city.
Problem was, WiFi is renowned for the "hidden node" problem, where clients cant hear each other and fail to successfully perform collision avoidance. Packetloss goes through the roof and throughput suffers terribly.
So, I wrote a perl script that interacted with IPtables QUEUE feature to keep the wireless packets a buffer, and they would only be released then that client received a token from a master server. It was a massive hack, but worked a treat and gave huge improvements to our throughput and stability.
Years later companies like Mitronik and Ubiquity introduced similar functionality in their wireless station firmware, but we were well ahead of the curve.