Some use cases for bitcoins for the techies and privacy conscious people are
1) VPN payments (AirVPN, there are many others)
2) Server payments (PRQ, there are many others)
3) Game Server Privileges (Various) - Many gamers have rigs and may be young, they can mine a few fractions of bitcoins in a pool and donate for admin or VIP status without needing money or to be old enough for paypal/debit cards etc.
4) Debrid Services - Multi-host download services
5) Exchanging for goods or money, places like bitcoin-otc act as web of trust communities to trade for whatever you want. Most tx seem to be for currency, but I have done things like xbox live codes, etc.
6) Merchants, you can use bitcoins to purchase giftcards that can be used at online and brick and mortar locations.
7) Barter IRL - Many people who follow currency news has heard of bitcoins and are curious about it, but reluctant to invest in them directly or acquire mining hardware. I have successfully bartered for many services using bitcoins as payment. This also helps promote the idea of cryptocurrency to the general public.
Combine using Tor to register and transmit bitcoins and login to such services, you can keep the trail fairly clear.
Wallets such as electrum make it fairly quick and easy for people to get into bitcoins and provide a failover generation method to backup/rebuild your bitcoin wallet and not lose your bitcoins in case of losing your wallet.