Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:There's actually some validity to the GP's post (Score 1, Insightful) 152

by Stickiler (#47030231) Attached to: The Technical Difficulty In Porting a PS3 Game To the PS4
The main problem with this argument is that The Last of Us was PS3 exclusive, and it was PS3 exclusive from the start, so there's no need to write the code for portability(which inherently means the game will run worse, because you can't use platform specific optimisations). It was only when the PS4 came out the development team considered possibly porting the game, and even then it was never a guaranteed thing. The discussion of whether the game game SHOULD have been ported to other platforms is a different argument altogether. It was only because the game was tuned directly for the PS3 platform that allowed the game to look and play as well as it did.

Comment: Re:Porting is news for who? (Score 1) 152

by Stickiler (#47030077) Attached to: The Technical Difficulty In Porting a PS3 Game To the PS4
Mainly because the PS3 was a radically different architecture, and when the company had to do assembler-level optimisations to get the game working well, and now they're trying to recode those optimisations for x86, while ensuring the shaders, physics, lighting etc all work perfectly, it's an impressive project.

Comment: Re: This is very exciting for indie devs (Score 2) 149

by Stickiler (#46529651) Attached to: Unreal Engine 4 Launching With Full Source Code
Actually, the 'big hit' indie developers will get burnt by this new system a shit load less than the previous UDK system. The previous UDK system was 25% net, with the first $50k free. Assuming 30% fees on top of UE fees, the new system equals the old system at $400k gross revenue, and from that point on is just flat out cheaper than the previous one. Obviously the new system gets worse the higher additional fees you have, but on the flip side, the lower your additional fees, the more attractive the new system is. Plus not to mention you are allowed to contact Epic Games to try and work out a better deal with them.

Comment: Except people who join that program..... (Score 5, Insightful) 675

Are already probably lenient towards Microsoft, so they will of course make themselves learn the new UI. About 80% of the people I know just automatically click no and go past it, and the other 20% make an active effort to click no and go past it. It's like polling the people at a major sporting event about how enjoyable they find that sporting event.

Comment: Re:Fraud? (Score 1) 346

In terms of commonality, DBAN is to system restoration as the hammer is to carpentry. Would you hire a carpenter who's never heard of a hammer to renovate your bathroom?

I think you are incredibly mislead as to what goes on in a computer repair shop. Most shop's will just wipe it by formatting the partitions in the windows install program when they are reinstalling windows. There's really no need for a DBAN, as every virus, worm or trojan I've come across has been removed via this method. Sure it may not properly wipe the drive, but in about almost every case, you don't NEED to properly wipe the drive. Sure you can nerd-rage and go "Well, I'm never going to that shop again" but any other shop you go into will do the same damn thing. If you want to properly wipe the drive, you will have to do it yourself, simple as that, as the shop techs aren't paid nearly enough to pander to your insecurity's about data wiping. Source: I've worked in computer repair shops for almost 6 or 7 years.

Comment: Re:.NET (Score 1) 471

by Stickiler (#41890513) Attached to: Software Uses Almost 1/2 the Storage On 32GB Surface Tablet

You can still program with C# and VB.Net as languages, but those apps will run on top of WinRT, not the .Net runtime.

If you can program in C#.Net, or VB.Net, then you are using the .Net framework. They are literally one and the same. Not once did I say ".Net runtime" I said .Net framework. And the person I was replying to said ".Net doesn't exist on the Surface RT". For C# or Vb.Net to exist on the platform, it NEEDS .Net, or a .Net compatible framework, of which there is really only one other major one, which is Mono, and it is a Linux/Mac solution.

We can defeat gravity. The problem is the paperwork involved.

Working...