Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed


Forgot your password?
Slashdot Deals: Cyber Monday Sale Extended! Courses ranging from coding to project management - all eLearning deals 20% off with coupon code "CYBERMONDAY20". ×

Comment Re:Not touching this one (Score 1) 126

Good bots might actually be the best reason to buy this game. I think bots should be standard equipment. Seems like the FPS programming gods tried 10 or 15 years ago and then gave up. Unreal vs bots was good fun and they are a good way to acclimate to a multiplayer game.

The big problem with EA shoooters, other than the uninspired game play that I experienced in this beta, is that.... they will sell DLC, you will buy DLC, you will get to play the DLC for about 1 week before all the servers are back to running the same handful of maps & game types over, and over, and over again.

EA is too cheap to host their own servers to provide reliable access to all the content they will release.

Comment Re:So what's the point? (Score 1) 397

" How boring will it be to be "driving" a car that can do 99% of the driving by itself but insists on you paying attention (at least intermittently) to do the remaining 1%"

This. You can bet that some of that 1% driver responsibility will happen after the driver dozed off or turned around to get something out of the back seat. I'm afraid this is an all or nothing proposition for most.

Just how, exactly, is partial autonomy supposed to work given human nature? If if we want drivers to keep their eyes on the road at all times then there better be no tech that would allow them to do otherwise.

Comment Yes, but is is running well? (Score 4, Informative) 171

Not as well as 7 on most of my devices. I will admit it does work fine on single use machines like my HTPC but, even my Surface continues to annoy me with bugs and inconsistencies. They should make unifying (or perhaps completely duplicating functionality) the schizophrenic control panel situation a priority... I absolutely hate the "touch friendly" controls. Toggle switches are an abomination.

Comment R.I.P. Sonos? (Score 1) 208

I'm all over the $35.00 Chromecast audio dongles as I've got plenty of good speakers lying around. Would have been nice if they could be battery powered... we'll see how long one lasts on the usb charging port of the Klipsch KMC1. Even so.... we can now get synchronized, multi-room sound at a far more affordable price than a Sonos system.

e-credibility: the non-guaranteeable likelihood that the electronic data you're seeing is genuine rather than somebody's made-up crap. - Karl Lehenbauer