Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system


Forgot your password?

Comment Just waiting for hackers to exploit and even .... (Score 1) 487

I think this might even facilitate wardriving on a huge scale. And M$ to blame for it. Storing a password via outlook on a M$ server? Even hashed it's just a matter of time and GCPU power before its cracked. Using cheap 2n hand Titan cards and some nifty written piece of cuda software ...

Or is this the new NSA backdoor?

Comment It's big companies, not consumers!!! (Score 1) 78

I'm a 'big' pc user, no less than 10 around the house. But the most of them being second hand or even older. Re-using my old hardware is a normal way of saving money. And stuff I don't use anymore is being sold again or given away to people with a need for it.

It's big companies who sell-off their old crappy hardware to wholesale buyers and then it end's up in Accra, Africa.
Instead of finding close range solutions like donating to schools, unemployed and poor they want a buck or more for it.
And I'm not even talking about companies who replace their entire fleet every 3 years.
That's just nasty to my point of view.

Comment Re:The Big Bang Is Obsolete (Score 1) 157

It's human to think the universe has boundaries as our lives self are within the strict boundaries of our own dogma's. Even imagining that something just might be eternal and endless is for the brightest scientists a mere impossible task.

Let alone religious people ... they sometimes still believe Earth is the center of the universe.

Comment Gotta love them ... I do. (Score 2) 164

Look to the future and imagine the internet of things ... yet all those smart devices relay on the big data consuming services of their proprietors.
Why are mainframes so hard to replace you ask yourself. Versatility is my answer.
Sure now, how can a machine weighing tonnes be agile and able to adapt to an ever changing world?
The answer is within that ever changing world itself, ask yourself what is a mainframe exactly?
I see mainframes as ultra concentrated bulks of technology, not measured in mips or dry-stones but in simultaneous multi processing threads.
Rather described in technology level instead of architecture and operating system.
On it's own every mainframe is a supercomputer ...

No I'm not a mainframe operator, though sometimes I wish I was. Once I've had a summer job caring for a GCOS/Bull system in night time.
I enjoyed the smoothness and sheer power of it. It was the start of my carriere in IT.

Comment Lies? (Score 1) 140

/conspiracy mode on: Its LIES lies lies ... for all those years, and I've suspected them ever since. Now where did I put my tin foil hat? .... Oh noes, radiation made me forget. Ok, serious, how about radiation levels in medical appliances? I can remember they use low level barium in hospitals for all kinds of scans. If even a low level already is unsafe, how many more have been affected by these low levels?

Comment ... or originality? (Score 1) 516

JJR Tolkien and his fellow writers were of English or former English colonies (eg. South Africa), and they founded the genre. So all original fantasy literature is written in British English. Most actors in starring in fantasy movies are in fact British. So its hardly a surprise to me. (I'm from the Netherlands myself)

Comment Minority report de facto and Palantir LotR facts. (Score 1) 276

Palantir are the Westernesse looking stones once crafted by the skills of the Elves of Valinor. And thus not created for evil use. Sauron obtained one of them, presumably the one from Annunminas. They are in fact neutral, can be used for viewing everywhere as long as you are able to control the magic within. Now for this government system, it's created for a neutral thing in the fist place. Just correlating different sources of info. But sure, it can be used for evil things too ... but more in a minority report way of doing, I think. So time will tell if US government is integer enough to use their system wisely ... or fail and bring down havoc on the meek.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.