Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Boneheaded and with straightforward solutions (Score 1) 698

This is so boneheaded it beggars belief. The straightforward solution is to require the UEFI variable filesystem (or whatever it is called these days) to be mounted read-only, and require (UNIX anyway, but something analogous ought to work for Windows too) an application to do a "mount -o remount,rw" to do whatever it needs to do, then do a "mount -o remount,ro" when it's finished. Not as nice as having UEFI not be seriously broken, but workable, and there's not much of an excuse for things like systemd, openrc, etc. implementing this where appropriate (and for any UEFI crap that can brick a system, this is appropriate).

Applications don't like it? Tough, patch the damn things. Requireing firmware to be exposed to harm like this on any operating system is unacceptable.

Comment Re:You mean Space Coffin (Score 1) 101

Those guys weren't sent for the joy of exploration. They were sent because somebody thought they could turn a profit. Magellan gave the Spanish a new route to Asia; Drake was looking for a way to circumvent Spanish (and Dutch) control of those routes. They were sent to bring back a load of stuff, as well as a route that would enable them to get more stuff cheaper. They had no plans to turn over the details to anybody except their employer.

They had very good reason to think that they had a profitable mission, and while they knew it was dangerous, they did plan to return. It was not a suicide mission.

Comment Re:Boring... (Score 1) 91

Watching somebody do something dangerous creates tension and suspense. Watching somebody a roller coaster doesn't create tension because in general we know they are safe. (When we do it ourselves, it doesn't really matter because our own instinctive fear can override our reasoning.) But watching somebody do something dangerous where we believe a possible outcome is injury or tragedy creates emotional tension.

I find NASCAR boring as fuck, but if you don't intellectually understand the appeal of daredevils, even if it doesn't appeal to you personally, you're being deliberately obtuse.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...