...really the description of a truck was only a single and relatively new use.
ââ/rÉg/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rig] Show IPA verb, rigged, rigâ...ging, noun
â"verb (used with object)
1. Chiefly Nautical.
a. to put in proper order for working or use.
b. to fit (a ship, mast, etc.) with the necessary shrouds, stays, etc.
c. to fit (shrouds, stays, sails, etc.) to the mast, yard, or the like.
2. to furnish or provide with equipment, clothing, etc.; fit (usually fol. by out or up).
3. to assemble, install, or prepare (often fol. by up).
4. to manipulate fraudulently: to rig prices.
5. the arrangement of the masts, spars, sails, etc., on a boat or ship.
6. apparatus for some purpose; equipment; outfit; gear: a hi-fi rig; Bring your rod and reel and all the rest of your fishing rig.
7. Also called drill rig. the equipment used in drilling an oil well.
8. any combination trucking unit in which vehicles are hooked together, as a tractor-trailer.
9. any kind of truck.
10. a carriage, buckboard, sulky, or wagon together with the horse or horses that draw it.
11. Informal. costume or dress, esp. when odd or conspicuous, or when designated for a particular purpose: He looks quite nifty in a butler's rig.
12. rig down, Nautical. to place in an inactive state, stowing all lines, tackles, and other removable parts.
13. rig up, to equip or set up for use.