Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment due process (Score 1) 569

I have to wonder .. what is so difficult about getting a court order to get it shut down? I wouldn't want them to be able to just shut a site down without due process unless there was some sinister life and death situation. If they have evidence to prove of illegal activity then they should have evidence to get the court order to shut it down.

Comment reinventing the wheel (Score 1) 149

If I read this correctly, it seemed to imply that the Ares V heavy lift vehicle will be continued. for what purpose does that do? we have Delta heavy rocket already, is that not "heavy" enough for you? You can take your pick of already existing rocket systems. unless there is something terribly wrong with these existing rocket designs then why spend all that money to reinvent the wheel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Delta_rocket_evolution.png

Comment A more intelligent method (Score 2, Interesting) 98

I don't know about the specifics of analyzing radio waves to search for intelligible communication, but I can suggest one thing. The Kepler telescope set out to hunt for earth-like planets that may contain life. The SETI project as far as I can tell is scanning every part of the sky without discrimination. I suggest that Kepler and SETI team up so that when Kepler finds a planet that is capable of supporting intelligent life, SETI will point its telescopes to it and then run whatever algorithms you have to analyze the radio signals if there are any from that planet. This current method of scanning arbitrary locations in the sky sounds like it could be wasted effort when you don't know what it is you are pointing the radio telescopes at.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.