You could only protect sociey effectively by locking up even minor criminals for life.
Part of the idea of the prison system is that the punishment reforms people. When you go out and do a crime, then get thrown in prison for a couple years, the idea is that on release you say to yourself "I sure don't want to sit in prison again. I'll turn over a new leaf and stop doing crime".
Third link: completely valid, and a non-issue. Suicide should be a right.
Preach it, brother! Even if a person is dirt-poor and has no posessions to his/her name, they still own their life, and I too believe no government should be able to tell them that they cannot have control of ending it.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.