Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive


Forgot your password?

Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!

  • View

  • Discuss

  • Share

We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).


Comment: Start up your own company (Score 1) 335

by Elgon (#40401329) Attached to: Ask Slashdot: What To Do Before College?

Really, do it now. Do it tomorrow! You're young with no wife, no kids and no major debts (mortgage and college.)

You will almost certainly fail (~90%) but there is a small chance you might succeed modestly (~9%) or even succeed wildly and become pretty wealthy (1%) but in almost any of these cases, you will equip yourself more fully for life during and beyond college than any of your peers.

Best of luck.



Doctor Slams Hospital's "Please" Policy 572

Posted by samzenpus
from the paging-doctor-manners dept.
Administrators at England's Worthing Hospital are insisting that doctors say the magic word when writing orders for blood tests on weekends. If a doctor refuses to write "please" on the order, the test will be refused. From the article: "However, a doctor at the hospital said on condition of anonymity that he sees the policy as a money-saving measure that could prove dangerous for patients. 'I was shocked to come in on Sunday and find none of my bloods had been done from the night before because I'd not written "please,"' the doctor said. 'I had no results to guide treatment of patients. Myself and a senior nurse had to take the bloods ourselves, which added hours to our 12-hour shifts. This system puts patients' lives at risk. Doctors are wasting time doing the job of the technicians.'"

Comment: Cannons! (Score 1) 793

by Elgon (#31257914) Attached to: When I die, I want my body to be ...

Honey, I didn't know you posted on slashdot!

More seriously when my wife (presumably not snowgirl) and I were talking about wills, I said that I'd like to be cremated and the ashes shot out of a cannon. Actually, given some of my hobbies, access to black powder and my certain knowledge of the whereabouts of an 8 pounder cannon, this is not so difficult to arrange!


Don't tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done. -- James J. Ling