In contrast, I don't have the same issue with "soy milk" or "almond milk" not being some mammal's milk, like the dairy industry is complaining about, because the non-milk-base ingredient is right there in the name.
Half the population makes less money then the other half
If only. It's more like "99.9% of the population makes less money than the other 0.1%."
Under civil forfeiture, Americans who haven't been charged with wrongdoing can be stripped of their cash, cars, and even homes.
How The NYPD's Use Of Civil Forfeiture Robs Innocent New Yorkers
Any arrest in New York City can trigger a civil forfeiture case if money or property is found on or near a defendant, regardless of the reasons surrounding the arrest or its final disposition.
“Who takes your money before they prove that you’ve done anything wrong with it?”
The federal government does.
Using a law designed to catch drug traffickers, racketeers and terrorists by tracking their cash, the government has gone after run-of-the-mill business owners and wage earners without so much as an allegation that they have committed serious crimes.
As an engineer-type mindset, if there's an easy way to do something more efficiently and regulations are standing in the way, I blame the regulations, not the new solution for sufficiently stupid values of regulation (obviously safety regs are a different matter).
Ensuring that a taxi driver is a safe person, and that the taxi is a safe vehicle in good repair, sounds like "safety regs" to me. When Uber and Lyft claim that they can ignore all of those "archaic" regulations, I compare it to chemical companies complaining about environmental regulations when they used to dump waste products in the stream out back instead.
New York City has very specific differences between "taxi" and "car service", both of which are licensed and regulated. Maybe some of those differences really are archaic, and maybe one should be able to "call" a taxi to your door (whether by phone or app makes no difference) rather than have to go to a main street and hail one. The communication part of the business model is a great concept. Adding lots of unlicensed unregulated unchecked drivers may not be.
A few weeks later I went to the bank headquarters in NYC for "a technical interview", and it was every disaster on this page. The interview time was a myth, as was the person I was expecting to see; instead an HR person who had been a fresh-out last year, and who had no idea what he was doing in his own area let alone IT, gave up on questions and gave me a "skills test" to fill out (presumably my soon-to-be Computer Science degree from a top engineering school didn't count).
So I went back to school, took out my trusty typewriter and the VP's business card, and wrote him a letter describing my experience (staying polite!), and making clear that while meeting with him had been pleasant, the mismanagement after things left his hands convinced me that there was absolutely no way that I would ever want to work for the bank. I heard nothing for a few weeks, then a brief note of apology.
A few weeks later, my parents called me to tell me to go find a copy of The New York Times for that day. In the business section was an 1/8th page ad for that same bank with two profiles, one with a speech bubble including a dozen or more tech buzzwords, the other with a thought bubble empty but for a question mark. The sub-heading of the ad was: "Is your interviewer qualified to interview you?" I guess that old VP still had some pull . . .