Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive


Forgot your password?

Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!

  • View

  • Discuss

  • Share

We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).


Comment: Wait a second.. (Score 1) 74

by DerCed (#39721991) Attached to: Judge Rules Takedown of Pirate Party General Proxy Illegal

Wait a second..
Summary says: "The Dutch Pirate Party (PPNL) just won a court-case against BREIN"
Article says: ".. a temporary court order has been issued. As of now, with the trial pending, the Pirate Party can continue to operate the proxy site."

So the court-case is not won at all and the summary is wrong?

Comment: Re:For the young'uns (Score 3, Interesting) 126

by DerCed (#39595935) Attached to: Minutes spent on the phone, on a typical day

Or, as James Gleick's reports in his 2011 book The Information:

    In a lecture at Cambridge, the physicist James Clerk Maxwell offered
a scientific description of the telephone conversation: “The speaker talks
to the transmitter at one end of the line, and at the other end of the line the
listener puts his ear to the receiver, and hears what the speaker said. The
process in its two extreme states is so exactly similar to the old-fashioned
method of speaking and hearing that no preparatory practice is required on
the part of either operator.” He, too, had noticed its ease of use.

Comment: Re:Democracy is 51% telling the other 49% what to (Score 1) 1276

by DerCed (#39254695) Attached to: Scientists Say People Aren't Smart Enough For Democracy To Flourish

"Democracy is 51% telling the other 49% what to do."
You are among the many who have not understood what democracy is. It's not the power of the majority, a democratic organization tries to determine how the distribution of opinions is amongst voters. If 30% are not supporting the issue, steps are being taken to try to make these 30% also "a bit" happy.

Comment: Protests in many, many European cities (Score 5, Interesting) 111

by DerCed (#38943927) Attached to: Central Europe Countries Continue to Oppose ACTA

What is also quite impressive are the protests planned by Pirate Parties and others in numerous cities all over Europe (+ some other continents). Many events are to be held this Saturday, February 11st. The map looks absolutely breath-taking:

Comment: I'm out (Score 5, Insightful) 473

by DerCed (#38728368) Attached to: Ubisoft Has Windows-Style Hardware-Based DRM For Games

I've actually spent quite some money recently on games produced by EA and Ubisoft. When I learnt about the bad behaviour of the Ubisoft activation scheme, I stopped playing the game immediately and reinstalled my workstation to clean up. Shortly afterwards I wanted to sell an EA game and got told on the hotline that there is no way I can transfer the activation key to another Origin account (Steam à la EA, with lots of privacy issues). I told them they have just lost a customer who paid lots and lots of money for their games. Because of the privacy issues I again reinstalled my system and I will not buy games from large producers anymore. I will either choose DRM free indie games, or ... well you know what the other option is.
Video game industry, you can thank EA and Ubisoft for not getting any money from me anymore.

Comment: Re:Watching movies? Really? (Score 3, Insightful) 464

by DerCed (#28121377) Attached to: Is Playing a DVD Harder Than Rocket Science?

Watching planet earth from outer space will be fascinating for an hour and the fascination will be renewed whenever lighting chances or any other circumstances lead to a new view. However, staring 8 hours at a blue ball will not be fascinating enough.
Maybe for a Zen buddhist, yes, but not for scientists/astronaut hybrids.

If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.