Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook


Forgot your password?

Submission + - Australian consumer watchdog takes Valve to court (

angry tapir writes: The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, a government funded watchdog organisation, is taking Valve to court. The court action relates to Valve's Steam distribution service. According to ACCC allegations, Valve misled Australian consumers about their rights under Australian law by saying that customers were not entitled to refunds for games under any circumstances.

Comment Re:Really Bad idea... (Score 1) 112

This is probably going to be back-pedalled faster than Tony Abbott running from gays on a boat.

I like your style. The whole thing stinks like lawyers fishing for business. Had they just left it alone, without the lawyering and heavy handed threats, it would have faded away and been forgotten in short order. The thread would have been buried away amongst the other bazillion now inactive threads. Doing this ensures that they generate huge amounts of negative, national publicity and probably some kind of backlash, and be ever associated with "Oh that WCS mob, you know, the ones that try and sue people to keep them silent".

Comment Really Bad idea... (Score 3, Interesting) 112

Whirlpool is incredibly popular, and has a very loyal user base - the offers of money for a legal fund are starting to roll in! I saw nothing in the thread that is defamatory, the OP asked for advice, was told 'do your homework' (entirely sensible), OP came back and said 'I found a better deal, thanks'. Nobody came out and said "this company is shit!" I very much doubt they have a leg to stand on, and all they have done is ensure that a future Google search will bring this little act of douchery up and forever associate their name with it. Good Job!

Comment Re:This helmet scares me. (Score 1) 126

I have an AGV helmet rolling around in a cupboard somewhere, it has a 'clippy' type strap - metal tongue clips into the other part, kind of like a seatbelt, but there are two release buttons - one on each side that need to be pressed. This is the only helmet I have ever seen that has this setup (although, obviously my experience is limited to my own and friends helmets!) My last 3 have been Shoeis, and all have had the double D rings. I agree with you and the GP as well - this stuff already exists, in pieces, and people try to use it as it is today - BT headset for intercom/phone, phone/GPS attached to the tank or in the top pocket of a tank bag, so on the face of it, integrating everything and making it easily accessible on a bike is not a bad idea. However, I'm not sure this is the way to do it. It may work better in a car, where you have the luxury of a steel shell and more space, inside a helmet..not so much

Comment Re:All the happy (Score 1) 136

I haven't touched VMS in...well literally, years. Last time I used it was on a VAX 11/780, and MicroVAX(en) II's I think? Wasted many an hour on 'phone' instead of doing assignments. When not at a local terminal, I used terminal mode on a DEC Rainbow 100 (manually-dialled 2400 baud modem) Talk about keep it in the family..

Comment Re:Pft (Score 1) 962

âoeThey must have heaps of cash and theyâ(TM)ve got to have a package between their legs, letâ(TM)s be honest,â âoeI donâ(TM)t need them to speak, they donâ(TM)t even need to speak.â Direct quote from a female Australian senator. On the radio. Now reverse that - a male saying something about rich and big-busted, and their career would be finished. Sexism is alive and well, but it's not just men.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.