I suggest looking for people who can provide hard evidence of:
- decent technical knowledge (depth and breadth) about what you are hiring for
- having developed larger non-trivial components in real world projects
- having worked successfully in a team. In fact have them meet some of your team in the interview.
- having written documentation/requirements/designs
- having worked on, and persevered through, disaster death-march projects (have battle scars)
- willingness to treat others with respect, listen well, and take direction
Anyone who is even average or slightly above average in all these points will likely be a superstar in your organization.