Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!

  • View

  • Discuss

  • Share

We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).

×
User Journal

Marcion's Journal: Low-energy bulbs full of mercury 1

Journal by Marcion

So the Beeb reports that Low-energy light-bulbs are full of toxic mercury dust that can get lodged into my brain (as if it wasn't full enough of chemicals as it is).

Typical, I recently changed all the bulbs in my house from cheap normal bulbs to these expensive ones, saving the planet and all that. So what now? Go back to the old ones? LCDs? Candles? Sit in the dark?

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Low-energy bulbs full of mercury

Comments Filter:
  • Don't change them all back yet. Here is the deal, Lights use electricity, a lot of electricity comes from burning coal, burning coal releases mercury into the air. So by using less energy, less mercury is released into the air than is in the compact fluorescent bulb by a factor of maybe around 5. Plus there is less Cadmium, sulfur, carbon dioxide etc being released or produced. So it is a win win game, you save more money on energy than the pricey little bulb costs, you save falling of the ladder to get

The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.

Working...