never played spore, but have played NMS.
NMS is more like a very interactive tech demo than a game.
even with the foundation update, there are many important things missing.
1) the asignments given by npcs are very limited, and revolve around "hey, get me this item/material", and no real "yeah, pirates are coming from this nearby system and shooting the shit out of our freighters, can you go blow them up please?"
2) big missing features: users cannot interract with each other, world deformation is not persistent, etc.
3)inventory management still tedious as hell fo no reason. the game supports near limitless item stacking, but does not implement for specific item types, like curiosities. (i KNOW the game suports it, because i can edit the memory table for said items and change the stack depth to a 4 byte integer value, save, and the change persists. i do this religiously for such items. i somehow doubt i will ever collect 4 billion of any item type, but it sure would be nice if Hello Games stopped fucking with me over curiosities and manufactured items, when the game clearly has no need for such fuckery.)
4) warp travel missing important features for navigation. such as "filter for previously visited planets", "restrict to current hyperdrive limits", "filter by star type", "filter by race control", etc. instead it is just jabbing in the dark, and selecting systems is a chore.
5) planet ecosystems very boring, single biome for whole damn planet, very little variety on a single world.
6) taken together, the game is about as interesting as grinding for gold on wow. less so, because zero player-player interaction.