Personally I don't believe in charity. You can't just throw money on social problems and have them magically disappear
You seem to think charities exist only to help the poor. With that in mind, many, many people will fall upon hard times at some point in their life and need assistance from others. Apparently you would rather they die off than help them out for a while until they get back on their feet.
Aside from helping the poor, charities also exist to:
- Reduce the spread of infections diseases.
- Help people recover from disasters (i.e. Red Cross).
- Provide grants to help people get an education.
- Operate museums to preserve history and spread knowledge.
- Fund medical research.
- Provide role models for children to help make up for poor parenting (Big Brothers, Big Sisters).
- Stop the government from overstepping its bounds (i.e. EFF, ACLU, NRA)
- and many other things...