There are certain core ingredients typically required for success:
* Marketing -- finding out if there is a need for a product, creating requirements for a new products based on emerging needs in a market
* Sales -- getting the word out, building relationships and closing deals
* Distribution -- fulfilling orders, positioning goods for easy access and generally getting products into the hands of your customers
* Support -- keeping the brand alive in your customer's mind, keeping the relationship positive and creating secondary opportunities to, say, up-sell or repeat-sell
* Accounting -- getting paid for all of the above, keeping current with accounts payable (esp. taxes) and paying employees and shareholders
* Product Development -- (the easy part) research, design, testing and documentation
* Production -- parts procurement, assembly, verification, bundling and shipping (on time and under budget)
* Human Resources, Legal and Staff -- people named "Peter"
Does you company have all of these in place? If it's missing even two or three components, you may be headed for real trouble. If Megacorp can fill in some of the blanks, consider being bough out a real win-win!