Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment That damn header bar at the top (Score 1) 2254

The stationary header or whatever it's properly called is driving me CRAZY. Of all the things about this I hate it the most. Honestly, I miss the TNR font and the look and feel of the old design (not the one that was just replaced, but the 2000-2006 era or however long it was around)

Comment Re:Choices (Score 3, Insightful) 702

People always forget to make this point. In fact, most are ignorant of it. It's not a corporate vs government issue--it's a market place issue. People want to have net neutrality, but giving the FEC the power to regulate will only lead to more problems in the future.

Comment Government collusion (Score 3, Insightful) 487

Many businesses that reach billions of dollars in revenue often rely on government contracts and monopoly protection--patent law being the biggest of these. Without government interference in the economy businesses would probably be less likely to hit "billionaire" status. I don't doubt that there would still be some, just not as many. In the open source world this is (to some extent) playing out.
Games

Games Workshop Goes After Fan Site 174

mark.leaman writes "BoingBoing has a recent post regarding Games Workshop's aggressive posturing against fan sites featuring derivative work of their game products. 'Game publisher and miniature manufacturer Games Workshop just sent a cease and desist letter to boardgamegeek.com, telling them to remove all fan-made players' aids. This includes scenarios, rules summaries, inventory manifests, scans to help replace worn pieces — many of these created for long out of print, well-loved games...' As a lifelong hobby gamer of table, board, card and miniature games, I view this as pure heresy. It made me reject the idea of buying any Games Workshop (read Warhammer) products for my son this Christmas. Their fate was sealed, in terms of my wallet, after I Googled their shenanigans. In 2007 they forbid Warhammer fan films, this year they shut down Vassal Modules, and a while back they went after retailers as well. What ever happened to fair use?"

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...