If these things come down to smaller CNC size, anyone could stick it in the back of a box truck with a generator on top and make guns anywhere.
We have three problems. One, our environmental regs are hostile to diesels. They were practically forbidden in California for years. Two, we tax diesel like gasoline. Those are easily fixable by a rational government if we had one.
But three, most of our refinement is for gasoline, not diesel, so supply and demand kicks in. We have about enough supply to meet commercial demands, but not enough to handle mass personal diesel consumption. It would require a huge, expensive infrastructure change for us to refine as much diesel as the Europeans do.
The US doesn't do small diesels. The VW Golf here has a minimum 2l diesel that gets 30 city, 42 highway. But in Germany you can get a 1.6 that gets 62 city, 73 highway.
You can also get a Polo over there, a little smaller than a Golf, with a 1.2l diesel that gets 59 city, 81 highway.
They won't sell these over here partly because of demand, but also because of safety and environmental regs.
What is actually going on is that without carbon taxes, the free market doesn't price the cost of CO2 emissions into pricing
And with carbon taxes, the only people really impacted by the added expense are those who are mostly unable to move to a much more efficient vehicle -- the poor. Mr. Rich can afford to commute in a 7,000 lb SUV with a big V8. Meanwhile Jimmy has a weekend job landscaping so he needs a truck, but the other five days a week he needs it to commute. He can't afford to buy another car (also with the insurance, taxes, etc.) to save gas during the week.
Because killing eagles is illegal
Apparently unless you're a corporation with enough money and influence to buy an exemption.
But, but, nookyoolur bad!
I crunched the above poster's numbers, and in the US it comes out to about 16 grams per year per person for complete reliance on nuclear.
During the Bush years I remember an interview with an old-time NSA guy, and he was absolutely proud of the controls they had in place concerning intercepts of Americans. They had this whole reporting and cleansing process so thorough he couldn't imagine they'd actually be spying on Americans.
So imagine what it must be like working there these days when spying on Americans is the norm.
This should be fun.
Also fun, watching the Republicans praising him for suggesting more nuclear energy.
So we have at least one union that doesn't operate that way. It's like how 98% of lawyers give the other 2% a bad name.
Call me when we have something more like German unions across the board. Take car makers. They have the giant IG Metall union, but most of the time things don't go that far. Individual plants have "works councils" where most disputes can be resolved to mutual satisfaction.
but I will say anyone who is not absolutely appalled by them is simply not right in the head.
I think in numbers dead, not sensibilities offended. Invasion estimates were for well over one million Japanese dead. Their strategy was not to repel an invasion, but to make it so costly in terms of lives that we would negotiate a peace rather than demand surrender. They were willing to give up millions of their military and civilian lives in order to accomplish this.
Theres a big difference between soldiers lives and childrens lives, a very big difference.
True. The limited bombing we had done had already claimed many lives of children throughout Japan, and that was to intensify before any invastion. The Japanese plans to fend off an allied invasion included women and children charging the troops with anything down to pointed sticks.
The preparation for and execution of the invasion would have definitely resulted in several times more deaths of children than the atomic bombs caused.
We still haven't used up the Purple Heart medals we manufactured in the 1940s in anticipation of the casualties we expected in the invasion of Japan. In the context of WWII, the atomic bomb undoubtedly created a net savings of both allied and Japanese lives.
They probably don't. They felt nausea after first handling it, then after that passed they felt fine. They will continue to feel fine for maybe one to three days during what is called the "walking ghost" phase, after which their bodies will start shutting down and they die a very messy and painful death.
They assaulted the drivers with guns and beat them. I've always thought that if you rob somebody at gunpoint then death is a proportional response. Usually that happens by getting shot by the intended victim or the police, but in this case the cargo got them instead.