Okay, I'm in a new state of the union, time to get my new license plates. In my previous state my plates were: GOOGLE.
In my new state, I so far have found the following I like (and am including ones not available for the record). I'm looking for feedback, and possible additional suggestions. Feel free:
- UBUNTU (available, but too obscure? -- still, great PR for an up and coming lay-linux distro)
- UNIX not available
- LINUX not available
- UN STAR X available, kind of a play on UN*X, but I fear also a bit too obscure
- DR LINUX available (I like this one)
- LINUX DR available (I like this one, too)
- LINUX RX available (I and others in this house like this one -- the "others" like this one the best so far). It's a nice play on "rocks" (sounding it out), and on "RX" as in prescription.
Here are some others' suggestions:
- MULTICS -- available (from Short Circuit) -- good one, but a bit more obscure than I think I want
- TUXRACR -- available (from Short Circuit) -- Yeah, I have tried for a TUX theme, TUX wasn't available, but I'd like to go for something without the vowel-drop thing going on.
- FIREFOX -- not available (from nizo)
- NIX GEEK -- (from nizo) -- I'm afraid of misinterpreting "NIX" as in "no geeks".
- NIX NERD -- (from nizo) -- see previous
- GOT ROOT -- available! -- I LIKE this one, definitely in the short list!
NOTE/UPDATE: If it helps, and for the record, the car is a Honda Ridgeline Pickup/SUV/whatever.
I will keep a running edit on this as I find suggestions and incorporate them.
UPDATE: Aug 21, 2007: Thanks to all for the suggestions, I am enjoying the ideas. Here's where I am now: I discovered I can get different "specialty" vanity plates, one of which has "UNIX" available as an option, a vanity plate I once owned in Washington, and is high on my list for this time.
I still like UBUNTU and GOT ROOT and vmlinuz among others. Hmmm, wondering about GOT UNIX, that would be cool.
I've submitted an e-mail to the state because I actually tried to "pull the trigger" on the UNIX, and kept getting error messages to the effect there may be some issue with my title/registration. I assumend this may be related to my "new" car, but had my brother try the same thing with his car and he got the same error message -- I'm guessing there's something wrong with the application. Sigh.
Also, for any submitting other suggestions... one restriction: the MAX number of chars (numbers and/or letters) for any plate is seven. Spaces are allowed even for seven chars (I don't entirely understand why).
Again, thanks for the cool suggestions, I will continue to provide status and updates.