Ed is a subtle troll. He often says vague things in support of software freedom but what's below shows that he could care less. Often software freedom arguments are turned against M$ competitors like Google and Apple. This is paradoxical when he's busy supporting things like OOXML, Silverlight and so on. There's no mistaking his smart ass attitude and smug hatred of Slashdot users. With a little bit of digging, the general patern emerges, Love for M$, hate for Slashdot, other M$ enemies and a well hidden hatred of software freedom.
Love for M$
- Moolight booster, wants to waste effort porting to Windows
- Novell/M$ deal defender, real smart ass remark.
- M$ Defender denies obvious M$ coding coherence problems by denying one small inflamatory piece of their problem and insulting the accuser
- Promotes Mono
- Defends Silverlight as less evil than flash.
- Promotes OOXML
- Defends Vista with, "Microsoft is normally very good about keeping backwards compatibility - indeed, the need to stay compatible with old badly-written apps is the cause of much of the cruft in Windows." Vista's incompatibility was infamous at the time.
- Defends Vista, blames problems on security and everyone but M$.
- Defends DRM as "altruistic." Yes he was talking about M$.
- Confusion about non free licenses, you can't sue M$ for flaws and losses.
Hate for Slashdot and Other General Hate.
- Hates Slashdot
- Hates Slashdot
- Ridicules Slashdot
- Groklaw is not trustworthy, November 2008. Amazing.
- Defends offshoring regardless of conditions of programmers.
- The term "closed source" is lame. He's exploiting the differences between free software allies.
- more general heckling
His homepage on 11/23/2008 has has him and other old people beating each other up in cheasy martial arts class. Thanks for sharing, Ed.