1) Dev writes game in 2013, has people testing the game, or trying it for feedback including Nathan Grayson (who is thanked in the game's credits, alongside other friends of dev).
2) Dev is a part of a game jam that fails in late 2013.
3) Dev has friendship with Nathan Grayson, writer at RPS at the time (later Kotaku). Grayson publishes article about 50 games added to Steam, putting a picture of Depression Quest, a choose-your-own-adventure text game as the primary article image (over actual games) and considering it the number one highlight of the bunch. Grayson does not disclose friendship, or early access to game, or any other involvement with dev or the game. Grayson does not even disclose how he chose the highlights, or if he played any other game. https://archive.today/iS4Ru.
4) Dev is filmed with friend, Nathan Grayson, in a bed, in a hotel room, at the end of GDC in 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?.... Date of recording is at the end of GDC which was held from March 2-6.
5) Nathan Grayson writes hit piece on GAME_JAM, painting dev in a very favorable light, with choice quotes and plugging her own game jam (which she profits from personally): https://archive.today/0KhZv. Her game is also mentioned. This is published on March 31, almost a month after the GDC video is filmed. No disclosure about their friendship or relationship is presented. Totilo had not been informed of anything at this time.
6) Nathan Grayson and dev "allegedly" begin a sexual relationship the next day, on April 1, 2014, according to Grayson and Totilo. This contradicts information presented from sources close to dev, however, and Kotaku claims they were only "professional acquaintances" at the time of publication, which contradicts all information available.
~ None of the previous information is publicly known except the publications (and the failed game jam) until after the next point ~
7) thezoepost is created in August, 2014. In it, ex-boyfriend of dev cites clear psychologically abusive behavior of dev during their relationship and points out that dev is a pathological liar who slept around, including with people who could help her career, such as Nathan Grayson. He ended it because she could not stop the "let's make this work" followed by abuse merry-go-round. He advises everyone to be extremely cautious and not trust dev.
8) Many jokes, including "five guys, burgers and fries" and #TheQuinnspiracy are born. This is in jest, there is little outrage about the scandal. People begin digging into allegations of impropriety on Nathan Grayson's part, amongst other parties.
9) Discussion around corruption in journalism explodes on major websites, such as reddit and 4chan. It is apparent that this is only the tip of the iceberg. People begin stockpiling evidence of other violations, and more still come forward with personal stories from inside of corruption.
10) Mass censorship of the discussion about the entire ordeal, including all discussion of corruption in journalism. Basically everything on every major website is completely and totally deleted.
11) Huge backlash occurs. IA publishes second video on the topic, mainly focusing on the censorship. Adam Baldwin tweets #gamergate, linking to IA's videos, after the second one is published, responding to the censorship of discussion of the first video.
12) "Gamers are dead" articles are published.
14) GJP is outed and proof of collusion is made public.
15) GJP members begin publishing many articles pushing the narrative that says GamerGate supporters misogynists, racists, white cis hetero males, who just want to keep women out of the industry and out of their games "hobby".
16) Many news outlets unaffiliated take these stories as fact (including Wikipedia) and continue to spread the false narrative. This is not unexpected, as studies have been done in the past few years that show how trivial it is to create a fake news story and get it published on every major news website as fact, as a larger example of how little fact checking is actually done by mainstream journalists and news outlets these days.
Grayson is considered to have failed to recuse himself, failed to disclose his conflict of interest with his boss, and failed to disclose his friendship (or more) twice, in both articles. He is widely considered to be a shining example of the failure of ethics in games journalism as he still has the job.
Things I didn't bother looking up the timeline for: dev speaking out against TFYC, dev creating a Patreon and faking a mugging to get contributions, and other people she's been in relationships with coming forward and corroborating thezoepost's outlook on her personal behavior. She intentionally tried to kill TFYC's efforts which was promoting getting women into gaming, which is where 4chan stepped in and donated to make it happen. This is where Vivian James came from. Dev is considered a terrible person by almost everyone who sees these actions. She abuses a person, cries wolf to make money, cheats to get ahead, and starts her own game jam and has it promoted by a lover, when contributions to make it happen are linked to her personal paypal account. There is 0 transparency in this game jam.
Gamergate is not so interested in the moral failures of dev. They are simply musings. And most people agree she's an awful person. However, criticizing someone is not harassment. And there is no action involving dev, only disgust.
Grayson, however, has and his employer (Kotaku, which is owned by Gawker Media) has received the majority of the attention. Almost all of it. Kotaku has been accosted for Grayson's dismissal, apologies for the defamatory and blatantly incorrect articles it has published, for disclosure and implementation of ethical policies, and for being related to known bigots and hate mongers through Twitter and parent company Gawker Media. As a result of failing to do anything, while continuing to violate basic ethical guidelines, and even legal guidelines, a huge campaign to divorce its advertisers from Gawker Media has had success and continues to be successful. This pressure may eventually force Gawker to change or evaporate without support. Illegal activities of Gawker Media are being pursued as well as activities that clearly violate the terms for both membership in Google's advertising program as well as Amazon's. There is a large pressure being placed on both of these companies to recognize these violations and terminate their dealings with Gawker Media.
You seem to want to talk about dev. We want to talk about why dev's game jam and shitty CYOA game that could've been made by a 5 year old are taken seriously by a press that shits on AAA games and studios. That is, we want to talk about corruption.