Everything I'm seeing in the way of urbanization, population density and commute statistics suggests that EVs would work in the large majority of scenarios in North America and Europe.
Some things are atomic. For example, I can't drive my car if only a large majority of it is functioning; for some things, satisfying 95% of the use cases still leaves that thing 100% useless.
With transportation (as a collective, not as an individual), a population can get by 100% with a cheap gasoline-only car, but only (say) 95% with an EV. With transportation for an individual, satisfying 95% of the uses cases means that the individual would prefer to simply by an equivalent car that can do the remaining 5% as well as the EV's 95% - i.e. a gasoline-only car.
Most people with an EV either have a second car or don't travel to places they can't buy a ticket to (bus/train/plane). Those people who prefer to own only a single car and often travel outside of mass-transit would prefer to get the ICE-car that satisfies 100% of their uses-cases for a car rather than an EV that satisfies 95% of their use-cases for a car.
Yes, there are outliers, and certainly there are scenarios that Americans regularly partake in which will push past EV limits, but to base an entire transportation strategy on scenarios that are either infrequent or in a very sharp minority seems utterly illogical to me.
It would seem illogical to you because you are not being logical. You are unreasonably assuming that people would take the more expensive option that does not meet all the use-cases that the cheaper option does.
Simply put, most people do not drive hundreds of miles in a single driving session per day, most people live in urban areas where average commute times are below 30 minutes and distances are in fact below 20 miles one way. It sounds to me like the majority of North Americans could drive EVs with little significant impact on day to day driving habits.
Maybe, but it is not their day-to-day transport needs that drives their purchase, it's that remote 5% of their transport needs that drive their purchase. For the population, 95% good enough is, well, good enough. For an individual, 95% good enough is going to lose to the cheaper option that is 100% good enough.