Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Get HideMyAss! VPN, PC Mag's Top 10 VPNs of 2016 for 55% off for a Limited Time ×

Comment Yawn. (Score 3, Interesting) 45

The first thing I did when I got a Chromebook (that I had never asked for) was to install Linux (specifically, GalliumOS). Not surprisingly, Wine runs just fine on top of that, along with the older Windows games that I still play. Minecraft also ran surprisingly well on it, between 20 and 35 fps fullscreen (1366x768), though of course Wine is not required for this. I even used it as my Minecraft server for a while (and might again) because it is silent. I did not attempt to run the server and the client simultaneously. That would be asking a bit much.

Unfortunately, Bay Trail has some serious shortcomings that have made me realize this machine will never be what I actually need out of a daily driver laptop, and the eMMC (and lack of M.2 or SATA) doesn't help. That's why I've posted it for sale, the intent being to buy a C720P with 4GB of RAM and an M.2 slot instead. I already know that can easily be converted into a triple-booting Ubuntu/OS X/Windows machine that performs reasonably well, because I know the guy in charge of the C720P Hackintosh project. :)

If running Wine on a Chromebook is Invisible Pink Unicorn territory, I've got a whole herd of them grazing on carpet in my living room. (What, you didn't know Invisible Pink Unicorns are all rug munchers?)

Comment What is the turnover/new hire rate? (Score 1) 200

Let's say you run a business with 100 employees, 33 of whom are female. You express a desire to get that number up. But let's say after a year, you still only have 100 employees. You've made a concerted effort to favor qualified female applicants. In fact, half of your new hires are female. Problem in, you only hired ten people, to replace ten who left. Of those who left, 7 were male and 3 were female. So now your workforce is 35% female and people scream "see, you aren't even trying!"

Unless someone expects Facebook to start firing people to make room for the ones that would look good on paper, this change must happen incrementally at best.

Comment Re: This could be good for the Linux gaming commun (Score 1) 170

I understand about market share. Say Linux is 10%, OS X is 20%, and Windows is 70%, just for the sake of argument. Right now it seems to pay to develop for the 70%, then maybe port for the 20%. What I'm proposing is that the mechanism works the other way around. Target the 10% knowing that the other 90% will be able to just run it unchanged. It may not have the right "skin" for that platform, but I can't think of many games that do, and the "authorized look and feel" changes from time to time anyhow. This doesn't break older software, it just makes them stand out as being older.

Instead of writing for 70% of the market first, why not write for 100% of the market first?

Comment Re: This could be good for the Linux gaming commun (Score 1) 170

This is exactly where Vulkan and perhaps OpenGL have to take up the slack. For all the things Notch did wrong coding Minecraft, he made a fundamentally sound decision to not be tied to any particular OS or hardware platform. So long as the cross-compatibility can be maintained while ditching the pitfalls of Java, that part of the model is something other developers should look to emulate, because it worked out very well. Minecraft "just runs" on pretty much anything with sufficient power to run it. Unfortunately the bar of "sufficient" is rather high because Java, but the underlying concept has been proven.

Comment This could be good for the Linux gaming community. (Score 3, Interesting) 170

If small developers with limited time budgets can just target their game at Linux, and have it automagically run on Windows, this might be quite the attractive option. No porting, just write for one "lowest common denominator" and let the OSes themselves sort it out. I would assume things intended to be cross-platform, like Vulkan, would also fit into this "it just works, everywhere" paradigm.

Comment Re:The real news here (Score 2) 101

The first time it happens, the company should have to pay it back with interest. If it was a mistake, that's fair, and it makes sure they don't benefit from it by sitting on the money even temporarily. The second time, they should have to pay double. The third time, triple. And so on. After some period of time without any significant "billing errors" in their favor, the meter gets reset back to "damages plus interest". (Say, two years for these jerks.) This would protect both legitimate business who do occasionally make mistakes, and their customers, while providing a disincentive to make "mistakes" for those who habitually do so.

Slashdot Top Deals

Uncertain fortune is thoroughly mastered by the equity of the calculation. - Blaise Pascal

Working...