Intelligent information system supporting observation, searching and detection for security of citizens in urban environment.
The main objectives of the INDECT project are:
- to develop a platform for: the registration and exchange of operational data, acquisition of multimedia content, intelligent processing of all information and automatic detection of threats and recognition of abnormal behaviour or violence,
- to develop the prototype of an integrated, network-centric system supporting the operational activities of police officers, providing techniques and tools for observation of various mobile objects,
- to develop a new type of search engine combining direct search of images and video based on watermarked contents, and the storage of metadata in the form of digital watermarks,
The main expected results of the INDECT project are:
- to realise a trial installation of the monitoring and surveillance system in various points of city agglomeration and demonstration of the prototype of the system with 15 node stations,
- implementation of a distributed computer system that is capable of acquisition, storage and effective sharing on demand of the data as well as intelligent processing, construction of a family of prototypes of devices used for mobile object tracking,
- construction of a search engine for fast detection of persons and documents based on watermarking technology and utilising comprehensive research on watermarking technology used for semantic search,
- construction of agents assigned to continuous and automatic monitoring of public resources such as: web sites, discussion forums, UseNet groups, file servers, p2p networks as well as individual computer systems,
- elaboration of Internet based intelligence gathering system, both active and passive, and demonstrating its efficiency in a measurable way.
I knew I should have been a programmer. As each year goes by my hardware skills become less-and-less useful, because they keep moving the equipment to remote locations and handing-over control to programmers or administrators (or lawyers).
Oh well. (signs up for college). Time to earn that second degree (and maybe score with the ladies for a change).
Nothing stops anyone from using the APIs, I'm talking about a working implementation.
OpenGL is supported on pretty much all available platforms and has a standard implementation on them: Windows has opengl32.dll, Linux has Mesa3d, and Apple also has a default implementation.
I guess the point I'm trying to make here that an API is worthless without an implementation: the library containing the actual functionality. What are you loading if you don't have a IHV implementation available? Nothing. Just like OpenGL, OpenCL will need a default, software, implementation supported on all platforms.
And I can promise you that Microsoft will not be jumping on this OpenCL bandwagon (providing a platform default software implementation) with their development Direct3D Compute Shaders and the fact that Microsoft is no longer a Khronos partner. If they do in the next version of Windows I'll be very pleasantly surprised.
CPUs are infamously bad at processing floating point operations, this is the reason that dedicated GPUs were invented in the first place. A graphics processor like the GTX 285 has 240 stream processors that are manufactured for processing floating point numbers but really bad at integer operations. A CPU like a Core 2 Quad has four cores that are really good at integer operations but requires CPU extensions like SSE to do high performance floating point operations.
Both Intel and AMD are currently manufacturing CPU/GPU hybrids that would kind of balance both these worlds: Larrabee a GPU-like addon, AMD Fusion an on-chip solution. We'll see what kind of API hell they will bring.
IMO, the fundamental problem with OpenCL is the same as with OpenAL, which is that Operating System vendors don't provide a standard implementation as is done with OpenGL.
(Bus) speed isn't an issue as creating a CPU or GPU context requires a specific creation flag, so one would know what the target platform is.
1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.