Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Comment Re:Be careful how hard you squeeze (Score 1) 279

but are Americans willing to pay 50%-100% more for their electronics

No, but they are willing to increase the deficit and debt by allowing government subsidies to companies employing Americans. I suspect that's what will happen with more and more of these deals.

Comment Re:Slashdot headline wrong (Score 1) 136

who DVRs series or movies any more?

DVRs are very wife-friendly. You go to a program in the guide and press [Record Series]. No waiting for it to appear in the stream, no worry that it's carried on a streaming service you don't subscribe to, no worries about commercials inserted in that you can't skip over, no 'this program no longer available.'

Never underestimate the power of something being wife-friendly.

Comment Re:not just live sports (Score 3, Interesting) 136

My GF watches lots of TV live - reality TV and sometimes drama

I will almost never watch live, but I'll watch quasi-live. Assuming a show like The Walking Dead will have approximately 16 minutes of ads, I'll start playing the recording as the show is still recording. So I'll start watching 15-20 minutes after the show has started, skip the commercials throughout and I'll finish watching just as it finishes the broadcast.

Comment A pity, but not a surprise (Score 3, Informative) 95

It only makes sense that you should only be allowed to review something you've actually bought through the site, but man will I miss the comedy reviews. The reviews for the Trump Christmas tree ornament hat are GOLD, as were the reviews for uranium in a can and all the others.

Comment Re:Um... so what? (Score 1) 106

So you are arguing that ride share services (which yes, let's admit it, are totally the new taxis) should be suppressed because they are so much better for 98% of the population, but may make it harder for the other 2%?

Largely we're not talking about Uber's customers, we're talking about Uber's employees.

...and yes, Uber's drivers are obviously Uber's employees.

When I buy a box on Amazon via their app, the employees that package and ship that box to me work under local labour laws. Uber needs to do the same.

Comment Re:New Trump fan here! (Score 1) 600

Think drugs, terrorists, cartels, etc.

I will 'think' about those things once was have some hard numbers from reputable sources.

For example, how many terrorist acts were committed based on people coming in from Mexico? And as for drugs, if you want to eliminate those, just legalese in the USA. Presto, no more market for drug dealers.

Just seems silly to me to contemplate spending 40 Billion on something - Money that could go to education, healthcare, veterans - When there doesn't seem to be hard facts indicating that that spend is a good investment of tax dollars that will solve a real problem.

I'm a fiscal conservative, so I need to see the numbers first, before I can get behind something like that.

Comment Re:New Trump fan here! (Score 1) 600

I've been a big Trump fan ever since he promised to build a wall during the announcement of his candidacy

Just curious - Why would you support spending forty billion dollars to build a wall when net immigration from Mexico is negative?

Seems to me there are way better ways the USA could spend forty billion.

https://www.technologyreview.c...

Comment Re:Precisely (Score 1) 531

It's not perfect, but the idea that it is as bad as people who just willfully invent rumors out of thin air and disseminate them as truth is absurd.

This is one of the most frustrating things about Slashdot - On this site, perfect is the enemy of good.

Also manifests itself in discussion of police states, when, on Slashdot, the USA is claimed to be a 'police state.' Usually people making these claims have never experienced an actual police state.

Slashdot Top Deals

What is now proved was once only imagin'd. -- William Blake

Working...