How hard do you think it is to have ATM's[sic] scan serial numbers on the bills they dispense so the machine/bank/gov't knows who they were given to, and have the bank scan in the deposits so they know who is receiving the bills?
Off the top of my head it would require
- - Replacing evey dispenser mechanism in every ATM
- - Replacing evey depository mechanism in every ATM that accepts cash
- - Updating the communications protocols between the components within the ATM
- - Updating the SNMP code for the ATM to central to support the new device
- - Updating the transaction protocol between the ATM and central to support reporting which bills were dispensed or deposited
- - Updating all of the protocols used by all of the debit networks to pass that information along
- - A whole new back end system at the card issuing bank to store and report this information
So really just a week or two then.