Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook


Forgot your password?

Submission + - SPAM: Garmin Nuvifone: iPhone wannabee or breakthrough p

WirePosted writes: "The airwaves are buzzing with news of yet another iPhone challenger, the Garmin Nuvifone, a touchscreen handheld that attempts to bring together the best of GPS navigation and phone functions, with web browsing and entertainment thrown in. The Nuvifone is not slated for release until Q3 but everything about it from its 3.5 inch touch screen menu based display to the way users place calls smacks of iPhone copy. That said, the Nuviphone does promise to deliver a number of things not available on the iPhone — yet."
Link to Original Source

Submission + - Vista SP1 due Monday

headkase writes: "Tech ARP brings word that the long awaited Service Pack 1 Final for Windows Vista is due to be released on Monday, February 4th, 2008. Initially it will only be available in English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese. Another version will be release one to two weeks later that supports all 36 basic languages."

HD DVD Group Cancels CES Meetings

The announcement that Warner Bros. is no longer backing the HD DVD format was bad enough. It appears speculation about the larger impact of the announcement has hit home with other backers of the medium. The HD-DVD group has cancelled their CES meetings as a result. "In a mass email to CES attendees, a representative for the group said they are 'currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps.' If these 'next steps' don't include lining the pockets of every remaining film publisher on the market to convince them your format's still viable, HD DVD could go the way of the Betamax with a quickness." Could we be seeing the end of this chapter in the format war already?

Submission + - Microsoft finally bows to EU antitrust measures

Rogue Pat writes: From the Reuters press article: "Microsoft ended three years of resistance on Monday and finally agreed to comply with a landmark 2004 antitrust decision by the European Commission."

From other news sources: Competitors will be able to buy interface protocols for 10.000 Euro to make their software work better with Windows. Moreover, Microsoft won't appeal the 500 million Euro fine any further.

Submission + - Windows Mobile 6 release date for htc products?

ratkid2271 writes: "I recently read a slashdot article about windows mobile 6 being released in august for HTC products. I searched around on the at&t site and found them saying 3rd Quarter 07, i searched on the htc site and couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone was able to find release dates for WM6 and for which products they were specific to?"

Submission + - One-liner to crash IE6 (

Kelly Yancey writes: "A Japanese fellow going by the name Hamachiya2 has stumbled upon one line of HTML/CSS code that crashes IE6. The magic line is:
<style>*{position:relative}</style><table><input>< /table> You can try it yourself at: Of course, if you are running IE6 or anything that embeds IE6 as a component, you can expect it to crash. All other browsers appear to render the code just fine. I think I may have just found a new signature. :)"


Submission + - Mozilla: 10 day patch guarantee 'not our policy' (

narramissic writes: "Mozilla has officially backpedaled from a pledge attributed to the company's director of ecosystem development, Mike Schaver, to fix any critical security bugs in the browser within 'Ten ****ing Days.' On Friday, Mozilla security chief Window Snyder wrote in a blog posting that the 10 day pledge is not Mozilla's policy, saying 'We do not think security is a game, nor do we issue challenges or ultimatums.' And today, the open source browser maker was forced to issue a statement retracting the pledge."

Submission + - Has Earth been detected by an alien civilization? (

Anonymous writes: Science of Roundworld modifies the Drake equation: "Given that in the last tens years we have found roughly 250 planets outside our solar system, it is perhaps prudent to ask whether an alien civilization may have already detected our own planet and its biosphere during the approximately three billion years it has harboured photosynthesising life." The blog continues: "The Drake equation, the famous speculative tool to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy with which we might come in contact, was not intended to address this question but can be modified to do so." After a bit of math it ends up with 1 percent chance that Earth has not been detected by aliens — in other words with 99 percent probability that is has. Speculation is fun.

Slashdot Top Deals